Briggs Intek coil issues

Threads
Intek Twin in a JD 140D Model 445577. Found that someone disconnected the coil ground wires so the mower would just shut off after the fuel solenoid cut off the fuel. I reconnected the ground wires to the coils and no spark. I disconnected the engine from the tractor harness, still no spark. SO what I have now is just the black wire from each coil, tied together and running back to the factory plug. Still no spark...Here's the funny part- If I unplug EITHER ground wire from any coil, I get spark. I only have no spark if BOTH ground wires are hooked to the coil terminals. The black wires have been checked for chafing, and are in fact held away from any metal surface all the way to the plug. Anyone ever seen this?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What you probably have is the steering diodes in the harness are shorted allowing each coil to kill the other coil. Replacement of this harness should solve the problem.

Threads
Thanks, I replaced that small harness to the coils/solenoid. It still won't kill spark when I turn the key off. I disconnected the engine harness again, got a jumper to keep the fuel solenoid energized. I went right from the black coil wire to ground, still had spark. I'm lost!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So you went from no spark with harness connect to with the new harness no spark kill then you have coils that have failed. Kinda rare that both would failed at the same time.

Threads
The coils are good, they spark all the time. If I short each coil individually, they kill out. It's when I have them hooked to the engine harness that they don't kill.

Threads
Would aftermarket coils not work properly with that diode harness?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you tried hooking the harness up both ways ?
Did you get the harness with a diode , you can see it as a thick lump in the wire ?
Does the ground wire actually go to ground when you turn the mower off ?
not unheard of t have the ground connection at the key switch fail .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Of it may just the way JD did their side of the wiring harness as I have seen a few JD done this way.

Last edited:
Threads
Not sure what you mean about hooking the harness up both ways? It does have the diodes. I've tried directly grounding the engine harness to ground with a jumper wire, and both coils still have spark. The key switch does shut the carb solenoid off as that's the only way the machine shuts off at this point.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can you still kill the individual coils?