Briggs engine popping

Omacrulzzz

Threads
This is poulan pro riding mower with a Briggs engine. Model # 282H07-0196-E1. Brand new Briggs carb. New spark plug. New starter. Battery is reading over 12 volts on my meter. Won't crank unless I jump it off. Once it's running, it stays running and cuts grass, but constant popping sound. I tried adjusting valves, but it's still popping. I also tried replacing flywheel key. What am I missing?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
793880 cam superseded to 84005207... those are known for the compression relief failing and cranking hard... some also have issues with the cam lobes wearing down, causing popping.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Filthy fuel tank could of plugged up that new Briggs carb.

Clean the fuel tank and flush with fresh gas.

Clean the cylinder cooling fins YEARLY as per your engine manual. Neglect this and you will have engine damage later.

slomo

Omacrulzzz

Threads
I neglected to mention I hit a log before the popping started. Sheared the flywheel key, then replaced it and assumed that was not a problem anymore. Tried several more things and gave up. Here I am two years later and decided to check that flywheel key again. Yup. Sheared again. Didn't torque the bolt tight enough. Put another key in, tightened the heck out of it, and voila, it's running now with no popping. Only problem I still have is the engine is shaking when the blades are engaged. I believe that's because of a deck pulley or maybe just needs a new belt. We shall see. I'm excited that I was able to get it working after putting so much effort into it and giving up multiple times.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not the firsts nor will you be the last to break a new key
Usually there is a little damage to the key ways that most neglect to attend to which prevents the tapers locking properly .
As for the shaking check the blades are not bent and they are properly located on the star on the blade spindle.
Hitting things hard enough to stop the engine often also damages the star on the spindle

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
also if there is a burnt spot in the belt from slipping (striking the object), that can cause a vibration/ shaking as well.

Omacrulzzz

Threads
Thanks. I replaced the blades and it is still shaking. I'm gonna take the deck off today and check the spindles and the other pulleys today.

FarmGeezer

Threads
Anytime I shear a flywheel key I always use valve lapping compound and lap the flywheel on the crank snout to get a good tight fit. aif the flywheel is a bit crooked due to missalignment will cause a vibration.

Omacrulzzz

Threads
Anytime I shear a flywheel key I always use valve lapping compound and lap the flywheel on the crank snout to get a good tight fit. aif the flywheel is a bit crooked due to missalignment will cause a vibration.
Im gonna get some of that valve compund next time it breaks. Right now it seems like its holding tight.
It only vibrates with the blades engaged. It would vibrate all the time if it was the flywheel wouldn't it? That's why I was thinking it's the deck causing the problem now.