Briggs Cam Problem

Mower King

Threads
Of course I should try telling that to a FD590 owner ,lol
Yeah, no kidding....nobody thinks a plastic cam is a good idea....even people that don't know about engines knows plastic in an engine is no good!....we're not gonna tell them that their governor assy is probably plastic too...are we?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
?? Note it is not always the lower cam lobe which rounded off, see pictures. I think there was simply poor hardening on a bunch of Chinese cam lobes. Going cheaper, doing away with the one pc. forged camshaft was the mistake.
Walt Conner
Interesting Walt
The only ones I have seen were lowers and because I am curious & still have some friends in the business, took one in, cut sections & did micrographs.
The depth of the hardening on the base circle , which should have not been worn was a lot thinner ( by about 1/3 ) than the other lobes, thus the assumption of deliberate less hardening.
Even more interesting was it is a powder pressing .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, in my case the two I seen on Briggs single cylinder cams have both been the upper lobe (exhaust).

Tinkerer200

Threads
Because the lower lobe was designed to be running under the oil level it was assumed that it would require less hardening so that is what it got.
Not a good engineering solution but it did save 5¢ on every cam.

?? I know things are different "down under" but here in the States cam lobes do not actual run under the oil level (grin)
Walt Conner

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got a Toro in yesterday with a Kawasaki engine popping through the intake. Exhaust cam lobe on number one cylinder is almost round with very little valve lift.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It can even happen to the best of them.?