Briggs and Stratton Warped PLASTIC Intake Manifolfd

mxsmith4

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton Warped PLASTIC Intake Manifolfd
My Scotts 2048 (I hear that hissing sound) was not idling and lost power at full throttle puffing black exhaust. I am rebuilding the carb but noticed that the intake manifold was warped. Parts on order so I don't know if this is going to fix it, but I thought I 'd post it just in case others where going through the forum looking for weird stuff. I have a well maintained and disappointing 20HP Intek PoS (piece of s***) with 370 hours, 406777-0128-E1.

I will say I saw no damage due to 10% ethanol which I use (like I have a choice in NJ), carb was clean as a whistle and more than 10 years old.

Attachments

• DSCN0144.jpg
    DSCN0144.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 73

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton Warped PLASTIC Intake Manifolfd
What you are showing is more common than you would think. Briggs claims it is from over torque of carb mount bolts. I think it may be a combination of torque, and heat from the engine. Either way it needs replaced. I have replaced more than one over the last several years.

mxsmith4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the manifold, but if it was over-torqued it was done when the engine was originally assembled. Carb rebuild complete and adjusted the valves. Started right up, no issues.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had the same problem with a 44P777, replaced the manifold but it was too late. Replacement 49M977 which is of the Commercial Turf Series/Professional Series has an aluminum intake manifold.

briggs

Threads
My Scotts 2048 (I hear that hissing sound) was not idling and lost power at full throttle puffing black exhaust. I am rebuilding the carb but noticed that the intake manifold was warped. Parts on order so I don't know if this is going to fix it, but I thought I 'd post it just in case others where going through the forum looking for weird stuff. I have a well maintained and disappointing 20HP Intek PoS (piece of s***) with 370 hours, 406777-0128-E1.

I will say I saw no damage due to 10% ethanol which I use (like I have a choice in NJ), carb was clean as a whistle and more than 10 years old.

i just replaced one on 2010 snapper 20hp POS it only had 175 hrs on it ..I think its caused by heat coming off the exhaust its right below it

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well the "POS" adjective is used a lot and I won't argue based on my experience with Briggs. The overheat IL ENG refers to is all too real and could be fixed with an oil cooler which could not add more than $100 to new units IMO. From homeowner experience and reading, Kohler and others had coolers at one time, but apparently the attrition is good for sales. Keep your fingers crossed. With the kind of heat that warped that intake, the heads are not far away.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have to replace my first plastic intake on a 24hp Briggs vtwin. Is was warped after removing carb to rebuild it. Are these intakes known to warp? Do you get new nuts since there molded in with the plastic?

briggs

Threads
I have to replace my first plastic intake on a 24hp Briggs vtwin. Is was warped after removing carb to rebuild it. Are these intakes known to warp? Do you get new nuts since there molded in with the plastic?

mine came with the nuts and yes they are known for it ..I used to love Briggs i still do if its an older one these new ones i wouldn't give u $50 bucks for one there awful

briggs

Threads
Well the "POS" adjective is used a lot and I won't argue based on my experience with Briggs. The overheat IL ENG refers to is all too real and could be fixed with an oil cooler which could not add more than $100 to new units IMO. From homeowner experience and reading, Kohler and others had coolers at one time, but apparently the attrition is good for sales. Keep your fingers crossed. With the kind of heat that warped that intake, the heads are not far away.

yes i do agree there they could also put a thicker heat shield on it the Exhaust right below it the tin the use is useless

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
mine came with the nuts and yes they are known for it ..I used to love Briggs i still do if its an older one these new ones i wouldn't give u $50 bucks for one there awful

I agree. Bring back the Briggs Lhead twin engines.