Briggs and Stratton Stuck Exhaust Bolt

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
MIG weld a nut on top of the broken stud. Remove with a simple socket and ratchet.

GENTLY rock the stud L and R and remove in SMALL stepped movements. Spray with PB if you like making a mess. Never seems to make it down inside the threads. Look at yours when you get it out. It will be bone dry.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is an engineering workshop down the road with a water jet drill
$ 20 and job done in 5 minutes, all that is left is the spiral of thread of the old stud / bolt
Now if I had a lazy $ 30,000 ?
If we have em down here in the bannana republic they must be on every street corner in the USA .
We spent around 100 hours removing a broken head stud in an Inter 445, only to find the machine shop could have come out with their mobile kit and removed in for $ 90 in 15 minutes.
I wouldn't bet on it. Here nearly every automobile engine machine shop has closed up shop. Last one I knew of was over 100 miles away and I think they are closed now too.

I have a couple indexes of the HF twist drills. I consider them as consumables. I have a drill doctor 750x and good to go with the HF twist drills to be used and abused. I have some good left hand twist drills and some good regular twist drills i reserve for precision work with the drill press. I have to sharpen the HF twist drills before i use them so i don't get the 3 sided holes.
Have you gotten the LH guide for the Drill Doctor yet. I went ahead and one for my 750 here even through I have yet to get any LH bits.

The problem I had with the Lowe's bit was I couldn't even drill a hole the thickness of a bed rail (angle iron) without dull the bits.

Question through. Which style of point are you sharpening to and what angles to prevent the three sided starter holes. Here I usually sharpen and split the points on my bits to prevent walking and drill at around 300 rpm or less.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't have the left hand chuck. I only use the left hand bits on broken bolts i feel will twist out so they don't get abused. Most bits are sharpened at 118* but i use a little more aggressive relief angle than stock. I don't split the points if i am going to use it in the drill press. I have found most of the cheap asian drills have uneven flutes so you get the 3 sided holes. I have a bag of small drills a machinist gave me. Most of them are Cleveland brand. Night and day compared to the HF and box store stuff. If i want an oversized hole i just use a HF drill out of the box. They always drill slightly oversized holes. If the flutes are not exactly equal length you get the 3 sided holes.

OldDiyer

Threads
I had a chain saw that I was getting to run and found that the muffler was loose so took out the first bolt but when I went to the second sure enough the bolt was very tight and I heard the dreaded snap. I was a bit lucky because there was a 1/4in still sticking up but even using a bit of heat didn't work to free it up. Thinking of how to get this done I remembered the the guys were I was working at used KANO AeroKroil for frozen parts so went to Ace and bought a can 10oz was around $ 15.00. Sprayed the bolt let it set for about an hour still tight hit it with a little heat resprayed and let it set over nite next day used a vice grip and rocked it back and forth and slowly it came loose and out it came. When I got the frozen piece out there was some of the oil in the bottom of the hole I was impressed and saved my butt. This stuff is expensive but it seems to really work well. I see the OP never got back so don't know if they ever got the bolt out or not.

css9343

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a chain saw that I was getting to run and found that the muffler was loose so took out the first bolt but when I went to the second sure enough the bolt was very tight and I heard the dreaded snap. I was a bit lucky because there was a 1/4in still sticking up but even using a bit of heat didn't work to free it up. Thinking of how to get this done I remembered the the guys were I was working at used KANO AeroKroil for frozen parts so went to Ace and bought a can 10oz was around $ 15.00. Sprayed the bolt let it set for about an hour still tight hit it with a little heat resprayed and let it set over nite next day used a vice grip and rocked it back and forth and slowly it came loose and out it came. When I got the frozen piece out there was some of the oil in the bottom of the hole I was impressed and saved my butt. This stuff is expensive but it seems to really work well. I see the OP never got back so don't know if they ever got the bolt out or not.
I haven't retrieved the bolt yet. I ground it flush with the exhaust metal because there was no material left to vice grip

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven't retrieved the bolt yet. I ground it flush with the exhaust metal because there was no material left to vice grip
Oh man, good luck with it now. Could of welded a nut on and removed it.

slomo

Last edited:

upupandaway

Threads
Anyone ever try one of these to knock loose a snapped exhaust bolt???

Cut a slot for the "screwdriver". Pounding it can knock the bolt loose???

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have one. Back when i had a Japanese bike it was a must for the JIS case screws. Used it a couple times on the big JIS screw on some Japanese car brake rotors. Be careful the cheap bits. Had one shatter and stick a piece in my arm once. All the cross slot fasteners on aisian vehicles are JIS not Phillips. Most cross slot headed bolts are also JIS and not Phillips. There is a difference

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Anyone ever try one of these to knock loose a snapped exhaust bolt???

Cut a slot for the "screwdriver". Pounding it can knock the bolt loose???
That will only work on grade 8 or higher bolts &/or bolts that are 5/16" or bigger in diameter as the bit will just shear the sides off the slot
Muffler bolts are one of the worst for corroding solid in the block .