Briggs and Stratton carb problem

princeal

Threads
To all the followers of this post I am calling it closed on my end. Have been trying many things none have worked. Kenny V.'s suggestion was my last hope but no go. Mower continues to run for only 4-5 seconds then quits.The owner who I was trying to do a favor for does not want to spring for a new carb (38.00) or an ultrasonic clean at the local mower shop (20.00) so I am washing my hands of it and giving it back.Thanks again for all your help.
KJR:thumbsup::thumbsup:

beendunned

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey piecemeal Are you ready for the cure? It happened to me! you know that nut/plug that holds the bowl on to the carburetor. Look at it close, it has holes in it and they are plugged! It drove me up the wall. I must have had that D@#$# carb off 7 or 8 times before I finally figured it out. so don't feel bad at all.

beendunned

Forum Newbie
Threads
Princeal: Sorry I misprinted your name. and that I was so late in replying. I am a new member just 2 days, so I only saw the thread today. It's just the irony of the problem. that part is one of the first to come off, and since it is obviously just a fastener it is set to the side, because plugs don't need cleaning, I still feel stupid over it, But it is easier to laugh when you know you are not alone.http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

princeal

Threads
Thanks for the reply but I have already tried that and the holes are clean,don't worry about the name mistake. I hope you enjoy this forum as much I have .:smile:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i understand how you feel ....ive had 3 carbs recently put a hell of a fight...one had a muddawber nest in it [ in case you dont know..they're wasps that make better homes than the Anasazi indians]....the only way to clean it out was to remove the plugs and drill the passages back out [fun!]....another was a spider had died in a bleed hole [the same cure]....the other was hopeless....[corrosion]...sometimes its just time to get another carb:rolleyes:

trickydickie

Forum Newbie
Threads
princeal,

Please go to the following web site, find your carb and follow their instructions. I had the same problem last week and it was the small hole above the threads ( in the nut and jet that holds the reservoir cover in place). The hole is so small you won't know it's there unless you follow their instructions and pictures. It is an idle port and if the hole is plugged the motor will not start. There are two larger holes that are very easy to see.

Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety

I discovered the web site in the FAQ program and it solved my problem in just minutes.

Tricky

beendunned

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trickidicki is right sorry I was not more detailed. the large holes in the base of the plug let the gas get to the itty bitty hole in the top of the plug so the gas can get to the metering port at the top end of the tube in the center of the carb. the small hole offset from the center of the metering port is the inlet from the Prime bulb, which is why it will run as long as you keep pressing prime bulb. so even though you have plenty of gas in the bowl it can't get to the metering port, but the prime bulb takes slightly different route. but still ties into the metering port, or whatever they call it now that the took away the mixture needle. you can see both ports in the pictures that princeal attached, and judging from the corrosion I am fairly sure that we are right about why it only runs when you prime it.. I would advise you not to enlarge either hole too much. Because it may make the engine run too rich, or too fast. good luck

tractor wrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you take walsh plug out on idle port side of carb. There are small holes in they for idle and throttle up . Check the emulson tube in carb. When running hold throttle at idle if it dies it is in the idle side of carb

STEVES

Threads
seems to be a blocked passage, get a brand name carb/throttle intake automotive spray type cleaner / remove any idle - etc adjing jets & spray into each along with into fuel tank / i have had some issues also - may take many sprays - you got the reg specs set - don't use cheap stuff - amsoil power foam injector - I don't sell it but a friend supplies & has worked for me- use it or a good brand name - like jd at lowes is not a jd!!!!!!!!
steve

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
use it or a good brand name - like jd at lowes is not a jd!!!!!!!!
steve

I agree it likely needs cleaning...

BUT a name brand IS a name brand.... I have a scratch pad that says JD on it... I know JD didn't make it and I can not hitch a 40 foot disk to the note pad... BUT it is JD ...
Lowes didn't put the JD name & logo on the lawn mowers... JD did,... so it IS a JD, and it is JD that May suffer a black eye over quality not Lowes... :smile:KennyV