Briggs and Stratton carb problem

princeal

Threads
Mobel 12h802 type 1922-B1 code 00031756

Have rebuilt carb by diassembling, soaking and installing new rebuild kit. Mower continues to only run a few seconds and dies. It is a primer type carb, while running, I can get to stay rough running while continue to pump primer. New gas, new plug, new fuel line and new air filter. Have tried running with and without air filter, no change. Any hints or suggestions????

noma

Threads
Hi Princeal

Welcome aboard to LMF hope you enjoy this place,what part of Iowa are you from i'm in the southwestern mn? I'm not sure what happen to your carb i was think maybe if you could take off the bowl and see if the needle and seat look ok and have you tried different setting to see if that helps? And see if your float bowl is on the right side being the low side for the float to fall into? Only thinks to look at good luck:tongue:

princeal

Threads
Noma thanks for tips I will try them. I am in the far southeast part of the corn state living on the mighty mississippi with Ill. and Mo. on the boarders. Thanks again

princeal

Threads
update tried readjusting float made sure it set level. blew into fuel inlet when turned upside down had air turn right side up no air which I believe to be correct rechecked plug gap as well. and coil gap. No change I can keep it running if I play with linkage as soon as stop mower will die. Any help is greatly appreciated

jeff

Threads
If you can keep it running by "playing with the linkage" then you likely need to turn the idle speed screw in a little.

princeal

Threads
Jeff
No adjustments I take it is controled all by the govenor . I am againist buying a new carb more for the reason I know I can figure it out and I just hate the whole idea of replacing parts not repairing. But it just might come to that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Make sure the jet in the bowl nut is clean.

princeal

Threads
ILENGINE
Thanks for the tip. Rechecked jet all clear. I decided to adjust govenor and did so mower started and ran but idled too high at lowest speed setting so I shut it off adjusted back to original setting and now back to original problem run a few seconds and die.

crewecat

Forum Newbie
Threads
The guvnor during might need to be replaced

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
When the governor starts going back and forth , engine idle goes up and down as the engine fights to get air - check your carb to block gasket . Another old issue with over working governor is valves out off adjustment .
Take valve cover gasket off and rotate the engine by hand until the piston(s) are at top dead center . Get your feeler gauge out and see how much gap is between the valve & lobe - if needed tighten the assembly back down .
Rotate by hand again until the piston is at bottom dead center. Check the exhaust valve clearance .
The carb settings should be at stock setting - 2or3 turns out after seating them gently .
You can't tune the slow idle fast idle air fuel mix until you get rid of the carb fighting to get air .