Briggs and Stratton carb problem

princeal

Threads
Have tried everything I can think of to get it up and running NO LUCK.cheked carb to engine gasket brand new have recleaned and reassembled numerous times still nothing. there are no adjustments to be made (idle screw etc.) unfamiliar with valve settings I guess I did not know they were adjustable . Anyone have any more suggestions I hate to give up but getting close.
Thanks
KJR

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I have a simplicity and Jacobsen that work 10 hours a week cutting 23+ acre - at a time. There is a tightening bolt on the small valve assembly can back off a feeler gauge in size . It is under the square valve cover .
My machines are all 1982-1986 simplicities and one Jacobsen . When the Jacobsen starts lopping when running it is tune up time - every three weeks or so due to it's age and hard work.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
you have a fuel starvation problem.....you missed something in the rebuild.....is your idle screw turned out far enough?....are you sure theyre arnt any adjustments?......you have a primer bulb...is that correct?.......i guess you checked the float needle.....you may not have cleaned it all the way....retrace your steps......pictures or video help :smile:.............. http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=12H802-1922-B1&dn=09900003 .....dont mess with the governor linkage........how did the engine run prior to rebuild?

princeal

Threads
Reddragon
Thanks for the reply and I have to agree. I have now disassembled one more time and it is currently in a soak. It has no adjustment screws and I have replaced the needle and seat and checked float adjustment . I am hoping that a longer soak will dislodge whatever it is that is causing the problem and I will be done. Again thanks for the advice

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
compressed air will help a great deal too :smile:

princeal

Threads
So far this has been a great learning experince,but I am a little leary to tackle the carb problem on my other project mower that has a tecumseh. I rebuilt that carb and all was all right until the kd that it belonged to ran it out of gas and now all it does is leak gas out the screw on the side. But that another problem for another day after this Briggs as been tackled:confused2:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
well.....whatever your problem.....were here to help :smile:

princeal

Threads
Ok I am crying uncle. After a nice long soak and volumes of compressed air same problem exist. Runs for a few seconds dies,keep priming will run. I have checked with and without fuel cap,have unrestricted gas flow from tank to carb. etc.etc.etc. still no run:mad: Any suggestions?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok..theres an internal blockage in the carb....the emulsion tube may be adjustable and isnt in the right position....also..the needle may be the wrong size...give us any info cast into the carb..like numbers and name [ like nikki or walbro] i have carb rebuild manuals...can you take pictures of the carb?

Attachments

• IMG_0956[1].jpg
    IMG_0956[1].jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0958[1].jpg
    IMG_0958[1].jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0959[1].jpg
    IMG_0959[1].jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 21

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
update tried readjusting float made sure it set level. blew into fuel inlet when turned upside down had air turn right side up no air which I believe to be correct rechecked plug gap as well. and coil gap. No change I can keep it running if I play with linkage as soon as stop mower will die. Any help is greatly appreciated

what you said here worries me...it sounds backwards.....when you say right side up....do you mean the way the carb sits on the engine?......almost sounds like your float is upside down

Last edited: