briggs and stratton 15.5 hp ohv carb sucking closed

bird101210

Forum Newbie
Threads
but would a vacuum leak cause it to suck the carb shut

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
the only thing that i could think of is that its sucking air in somewhere because it doesnt die when i block the airflow into the carb completely off

If it does not die it has to be getting air as you said from somewhere,:confused2:

but would a vacuum leak cause it to suck the carb shut

I would not think so.

bird101210

Forum Newbie
Threads
ill spray around the gaskets tomorrow and see if it causes a change in the motor and let you know

bird101210

Forum Newbie
Threads
sprayed around gaskets and didnt notice any change going to pull the motor off and check the governor to make sure its working correctly and that the waits are still in place

dmkim01

Forum Newbie
Threads
I understand your problem. i have a same/similar problem with my engine. i thought of checking the governer but that seems like i need to take the engine crank apart. my engine will idle fine. but soon after i advance throttle, it will want to close (suck) the butter fly valve. Thus resulting in engine RPM going up and down.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Spray bottle with water - spray around carb bolts and the manifold and exhaust flanges and see if the motor smooths out - seeing cracker manifolds lately .

Actionwriter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there a photo/drawing of the carb/governer linkage for the 15.5 available anyplace online? there is a small spring on the governor lever that I cant find a connection location for.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you don't find one I'll take a pic of mine and post it here for you in the mourning

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

chance123

Threads
I think I read that you adjusted the governor. Not everyone knows how to do this correctly. The correct way, for those that might not know, is to have your throttle control (on the machine handle) to the SLOWEST position. then while looking at the governor shaft and arm on the engine block, have someone move the throttle control (on the machine handle) all the way to fast/choke position, and observe the rotation of the governor shaft and arm under the spring tension of the gov spring. While in that fast/choke position, loosen the governor arm (with the linkage on it) that is on that shaft and rotate the shaft AS FAR AS IT WILL GO @ THE "SAME" ROTATION as you saw the shaft and arm move when going from slow to fast. The throttle control must remain in the fast position while doing this to keep the integrity of the gov arm to throttle control arm in tact.