Briggs 21.5 Twin Intek (Opinions Needed)

I once had a English 1558 Lotus engine whose valve guides had a circlip to stop movement of the guide. I cannot remember if the clip was bottom side (stopping upward movement), or top side. Wonder why that technique is not apparently used? Also if guide movement is always upward why not circlip the bottom side? Maybe cause once the head grip is lost the guide will move in either direction it can and mfgrs figure less damage upward?? That direction " only "destroys the cam lobe as it slowly grinds down to a perfect circle. Also on the subject of pushrods in sump...When I opened the engine and could not find the pushrod it took a number of self arguments that the pushrod could possibly have gone into the sump thru the tiny oil passage hole, but it did. I remember that Briggs had purposely left in some casting spider webbing accross the hole, which I cleaned out to improve oil "mist " return. Crazy
 
I installed a good used head today. Starts up really good, and it sounded normal. A little smoke came out of the carb not a big amount. No smoke comes out of the dip stick hole. It's been sitting for a at least a year I would guess.

I'm going to give the engine a good cleaning now and oil change.


Short video of it running https://youtu.be/ABnkMhMdGJ0
 
Last edited:
Ok there seems to be white smoke (maybe vapor?) coming out of the carburetor, after I turn off the engine. The engine runs good, no surging or anything. Any ideas what would cause this?
 
If it is vuel vapour it is perfectly normal and the result of the decompressor allowing fuel vapour to flow back out the inlet valve.
Get your nose in there and have a whiff you should be able to smell the difference between fuel vapour & oil smoke.

Just a small sniff, as petrol sniffing can become adactive.:confused2:
 
Well the other way is to use a match but singed eyebrows are not fashionable at the moment.:mad:
We have a big problem with dissadvantaged bored indiginious youth getting off sniffing fuel
It is actually addictive and usually results in severe brain damage
 
If it is vuel vapour it is perfectly normal and the result of the decompressor allowing fuel vapour to flow back out the inlet valve.
Get your nose in there and have a whiff you should be able to smell the difference between fuel vapour & oil smoke.

Just a small sniff, as petrol sniffing can become adactive.:confused2:

It was vapor.

It started running really rich now. Will be taking the carb off today.
 
I held off because of advice by more experienced folk. Now I will add that we used to shake brass floats to see if they contained gas reducing their buoyancy . And it was possible for floats to be so full no shaking would detect a full-up float which would not float properly to close the inlet needle and seat. A "stroke" spec would always be called out for the total droop of the float (inlet open time) by measurement from the parting edge of the carb casting to max droop. Then the "cut off" dimension from the same surface to when the needle just touched the closing tang on the float. Hope that makes some sense since I have not fiddled with the carb in question. Also I remember several times when a tiny piece of gas line rubber was lodged against the float needle, sometimes jamming it. Not visible. This piece was from the push-on ferrule type connection such as the inline filter. Especially if the line was old and soft or diameters were causing excessive mating force. Bla Bla Bla:confused2:
 
Back
Top