Briggs 19.5 HP burning oil and fouling plugs

Do you know if I can use the tractor as-is one more time? Maybe clean the spark plug a few times during the mow and keep checking the oil?


Jamie if you have a blown head gasket, then NO do not run it at all.... Gas will keep going into the oil and you will be spending 2 K on you mower.........

Drain the oil and see what is going on..... If your oil is real thin and smells like gas you got a blown head gasket.......

You already said that you have smoke coming from the dip stick..... Like a cigar in a ashtray....

Did you watch the video that I sent you ??? If you keep running that engine you will be cutting grass with a new mower......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!
 
Thanks. The only thing holding me back from doing the gasket is just finding the right parts. Is it something I should get a model # off the motor and then just ebay head gasket and the model #? Is there a tractor website you like for parts? I imagine this is a common part that can be mail ordered almost anywhere but if it is also something Lowes or Home Depot would have, that will make it easier and quicker for me to get and easier to return if I have the wrong parts. Thanks.
 
Yes give us the model number it will be on top of the valve cover..... Then we can tell you what number to buy... If you have a lawnmower shop in your town they will have it.... They keep a lot of those in stock... It's a common problem........

Let us know .......
 
Thank you. Ordered the parts and took my tractor apart. Here is what I found and just want to make sure it is normal. I think the head gasket is blown. And I'm hoping I can just put the head gasket and valve cover gasket on and put it back together. If I have to remove the valves to have someone clean them, I'll be in over my skis. Here are some pics. Last questions, what is the best way to get the old gaskets off without damaging the head, cylinder or valve cover? Then should I use carb cleaner on everything to clean it up. Should I do something with the black on the top of the piston? Thank you thank you thank you....
IMG_1237.jpgIMG_1236.jpgIMG_1238.jpgIMG_1239.jpgIMG_1240.jpgIMG_1242.jpg
 
Ok your gasket was blown for sure and bad too..... If you turn the gasket over you will see the lil spot where it failed.....

I caan see it on your block real good in between the piston and push rod chamber... Just get a brass wire wheel on a drill and it will do a fine job of cleaning all that stuff off...

Turn the piston all the way to the top and wire wheel the top of that too...........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!
 
Thanks. This is going to be embarrassing but.......... the brass wire wheel.... is that something that I put into a drill to use? I dont have a dremel or any type of motor wheel aside from a standard plug-in hand drill. Thanks and sorry for all the questions, I owe you one
 
Back
Top