Briggs 19.5 HP burning oil and fouling plugs

Threads
Sorry, I was reading this on my mobile. I see the word drill right there. I'll get the wire bit and clean up the head, cylinder and valve cover. Should I do the valves in the head too? Or do I run the risk of changing the shape of the head and damaging it? Thanks!

Threads
Yes by all means clean the combustion chamber in the head.. You will need a smaller wheel brush made differently than a regular wheel..

Threads
Everything seemed to go well. I put the piston at TDC, then installed the head and adjusted the top valve to 4/1000. At this point, you cannot see the piston any more to line it up for the bottom valve. Since TDC for the top valve was with the long rod as far into the motor as possible, and the valve lifter at its highest point, I did the same for the bottom valve. I moved the motor from the top until the bottom valve seemed like the lifter was at its highest point and the long rod was as pushed into the motor as possible. It's running well but when I engage the blades, the RPM's fluctuate a little. To make up #'s, I'd say it fluctuates from 5000 to 5500 RPM every few seconds. This is only when cold or with the blades engaged. Not sure if that is normal but I used some ultra black with the valve cover gasket so I can't just easily remove the valve cover to check it again. If I do have to, I'll need to order another gasket, no big deal, or can I run it as-is? Attached is a pic of the spark plugs. The first one had been pretty fouled from when the gasket was bad but I cleaned it up and put it back in. Since it wasnt running perfect, I put a new plug in it, but it ran the same. Attached is a pic of both plugs, the new one had about 2 minutes of run time on it. Finally, checked the oil filler neck and there was no smoke so that's a good sign. I see a little carbon puff out of the muffler once in a while but she in not blowing blue or white smoke. Here is the pic.IMG_1252.jpg

Threads
ok, the video will not load, too big probably. I should say that this was the way it was running before. Also, the top valve needed a little tightening to get to 4/1000 and the bottom needed a little loosening - if I remember correctly.

Threads
I doubt this is the key to it but I found this gasket when cleaning up. It may have come out of my tool box but maybe not.
ggggggggggggg.jpg

Threads
Just spoke to Boudreaux and I think I'm good to go. I dont think the extra gasket was something from the engine but here's a pic of both sides. The choppy running only seems to happen when its cold or when the blades are engaged. I'll run some seafoam through it to see if it improves but its fine now for the most part. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE HERE FOR HELPING ME AND SAVING MY FAMILY HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS :) THANK YOU !!!!!!hfhfhfh.jpg

Threads
You are very welcome... That's why we are here...........

Thanks for the reply on your solved issue.... That means a lot to everyone on the forum........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

0NPASSIVE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Curious, I have smoking issue on Briggs 19.5 hp and it is blue white color, runs, but barely at full throttle, dies if you lower to idle. I changed head gasket originally, and it ran great for one cutting. Put it away indoors for winter, used gas stabilizer, started it up this spring, and problem was same as before. So I replaced head gasket again even though it looked fine, same issue. I changed oil and filter, It is not overfilled, so what else can cause this situation. I looked at valves when head was off, they were clean mostly, but cleaned it even better, so I am stumped.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all it would be better for you to start a new thread than reviving a 3 year old one. Will get very confusing. Did you check the oil level. Sounds like you may have gas in the crankcase.