Briggs 17hp Intek OHV Hard To Turn Over

JonnyBlaze

Well-Known Member
Model: 31F707 Type: 0112E1 Code: 0301167E

Ok, Ive adjusted the valves 10 times and same result. Turns over fine without the spark plug in it with the key, but put the plug back in and it only makes one revolution. I'm not sure what to do. I used the same youtube video I used when I did the headgasket on the last Briggs I worked on.

Any suggestions? I read somewhere about a decompression valve or something. I'm not afraid to open this motor up as I have done it before on another Briggs. Just don't want to waste my time til I know for sure.
 
Ok which video are you watching for a valve adjust ?? I am like a cat and I'm curious.... LOL

Are the rocker arms moving ALL the way with the valves when you turn it by hand to make sure the push rods are in the right place ???

Yes the ACR just might be all over in the sump and you don't have any compression release at all... Years ago we used to jump with a huge diesel battery to really have the amps to turn that HARD to start engine over.... If the rods were moving like they should then we knew that a ACR was messed up.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!
 
Ok which video are you watching for a valve adjust ?? I am like a cat and I'm curious.... LOL

Are the rocker arms moving ALL the way with the valves when you turn it by hand to make sure the push rods are in the right place ???

Yes the ACR just might be all over in the sump and you don't have any compression release at all... Years ago we used to jump with a huge diesel battery to really have the amps to turn that HARD to start engine over.... If the rods were moving like they should then we knew that a ACR was messed up.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!
This one here. Yes, I can see the valves opening and closing.


https://youtu.be/atQZFrcBMj8
 
This one here. Yes, I can see the valves opening and closing.


https://youtu.be/atQZFrcBMj8

JOHNNY, JOHNNY, JOHNNY, ..... What am I to do with you ..?? ..:laughing:..:laughing:
NOT that video, ECCChhhh ! try this one by Taryl, forget all that 1/4 in bullschitt ! follow this video and watch it a few times if necessary ! let us know the outcome !! ...... Boo .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl5vNccJwQs&feature=youtu.be ..... VALVES ADJUST STARTS @ ABOUT 35:44

HERES ANOTHER .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEUt_KAcYk&t=21s
 
Last edited:
Did it ever start ?? make sure you have spark and give it a shot of gas in the carb, then try it ..?? let us know EVERYTHING that's going on ........ didn't forget about the "safety switches" .. RIGHT ..??

No. That was with the spark plug out.
 
Back
Top