Brand New HRX217K6HZA

tzk3jk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took delivery of a brand new Honda HRX217K6HZA on May 12. 2023. After unpacking, I added the Honda oil (12 oz). I started it using the electric start. It started very easily. I cut my lawn (using mulch mode) and it worked fine with one exception. The speed, even at "max" was at a somewhat slow walk. I have a 17 year old Honda HRX217HMA that goes much faster. Maybe needs a cable adjustment, but I mention it only as an aside. After shutting off the mower to speak with a friend, I attempted to restart using the electric start. The starter engaged, but would not turn over the engine. Seemed like the battery was dead. But that couldn't be as I had just charged the battery for 30 minutes (this model has a self charging feature). Then I tried pull staring, but that did not work as I couldn't pull the cord. It just wouldn't allow a pull even with a really hard pull. At this point I took it to an authorized Honda dealer. First thing they said was "probably no oil". They checked the oil, it was full (but not over filled). Then they checked the air filter (no problem there). Then they attempted an electric start (no turnover). They said "battery isn't charged". Then they tried to pull start and realized what I was saying was correct. They wrote up a warranty repair and said it would be over 2 weeks before they would get to it. Then they said Honda will be suspicious of what I did to break it. The problem is like my Stihl chain saw which has a compression release. If you don't press the release it's hard to pull. Or like my Honda pressure washer that, if it doesn't start on the first pull you have to pull the trigger on the wand to release pressure so you can pull start. But my new mower doesn't just have a hard to pull start cord, you can't pull it period (other than maybe a foot out before it hard stops). So it's at the dealers. Any ideas? I wondered if the spark plug was removed would that release a trapped vapor lock? Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Might be hydro locked and removing the spark would clear that but if hydro locked it probably will do it again.

But since it is new I would let the dealer deal with the problem under warranty.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take it back after sending the dealr an EMAIL so you have a record to prove it was bad from new

Right-tab

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problems you describe sound eerily similar to the HRX217 "decompression camshaft" fiasco over here on this thread:
Sounds like maybe Honda may issue a service recall of the faulty camshaft units?

As for the hydrostatic slow speed issue - that sounds like a separate issue of the transmission not being adjusted correctly. My HRC216 with the same transmission, also slowed after a couple of mows. After some investigating, the bolts that secure the speed cable lever worked loose and the transmission was not fully engaging. Readjusting and retightening the bolts, the transmission returned to its original speed.

tzk3jk

Forum Newbie
Threads
The problems you describe sound eerily similar to the HRX217 "decompression camshaft" fiasco over here on this thread:
Sounds like maybe Honda may issue a service recall of the faulty camshaft units?

As for the hydrostatic slow speed issue - that sounds like a separate issue of the transmission not being adjusted correctly. My HRC216 with the same transmission, also slowed after a couple of mows. After some investigating, the bolts that secure the speed cable lever worked loose and the transmission was not fully engaging. Readjusting and retightening the bolts, the transmission returned to its original speed.
Thanks for the info. That sure sound like my problem also. I'll share with the dealer. Best regards, John

Wolfepack88

Threads
I took delivery of a brand new Honda HRX217K6HZA on May 12. 2023. After unpacking, I added the Honda oil (12 oz). I started it using the electric start. It started very easily. I cut my lawn (using mulch mode) and it worked fine with one exception. The speed, even at "max" was at a somewhat slow walk. I have a 17 year old Honda HRX217HMA that goes much faster. Maybe needs a cable adjustment, but I mention it only as an aside. After shutting off the mower to speak with a friend, I attempted to restart using the electric start. The starter engaged, but would not turn over the engine. Seemed like the battery was dead. But that couldn't be as I had just charged the battery for 30 minutes (this model has a self charging feature). Then I tried pull staring, but that did not work as I couldn't pull the cord. It just wouldn't allow a pull even with a really hard pull. At this point I took it to an authorized Honda dealer. First thing they said was "probably no oil". They checked the oil, it was full (but not over filled). Then they checked the air filter (no problem there). Then they attempted an electric start (no turnover). They said "battery isn't charged". Then they tried to pull start and realized what I was saying was correct. They wrote up a warranty repair and said it would be over 2 weeks before they would get to it. Then they said Honda will be suspicious of what I did to break it. The problem is like my Stihl chain saw which has a compression release. If you don't press the release it's hard to pull. Or like my Honda pressure washer that, if it doesn't start on the first pull you have to pull the trigger on the wand to release pressure so you can pull start. But my new mower doesn't just have a hard to pull start cord, you can't pull it period (other than maybe a foot out before it hard stops). So it's at the dealers. Any ideas? I wondered if the spark plug was removed would that release a trapped vapor lock? Thanks
It's now a known issue with the camshaft. A service bulletin is coming but they have not manufactured enough replacement camshafts yet to fix this so they haven't released the service bulletin. I went through 3 mowers until I got a repair. No matter what you do if that is the problem it wont start. Here is a post from a Honda engineer on another forum.

"I am a model engineer for Honda Power Equipment. We are experiencing a high volume of HRX "K6" camshaft decompressor failures. I offer this information as a gesture of apology, but I am not here as an official representative of American Honda. I am a fellow lawn mower owner.

We are currently working through a supplier issue, but we are on top of getting replacement parts supply to rectify the situation along with a service bulletin. If anyone has any questions, you are more than welcome to contact me directly, but I am not here officially."

tzk3jk

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's now a known issue with the camshaft. A service bulletin is coming but they have not manufactured enough replacement camshafts yet to fix this so they haven't released the service bulletin. I went through 3 mowers until I got a repair. No matter what you do if that is the problem it wont start. Here is a post from a Honda engineer on another forum.

"I am a model engineer for Honda Power Equipment. We are experiencing a high volume of HRX "K6" camshaft decompressor failures. I offer this information as a gesture of apology, but I am not here as an official representative of American Honda. I am a fellow lawn mower owner.

We are currently working through a supplier issue, but we are on top of getting replacement parts supply to rectify the situation along with a service bulletin. If anyone has any questions, you are more than welcome to contact me directly, but I am not here officially."
I created a case file with Honda this morning to see what they have to say officially. Thanks for your comment. Best regards, John

Attachments

• https:crrs.secure.force.com:service:pew2c.pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 18

Wolfepack88

Threads
I created a case file with Honda this morning to see what they have to say officially. Thanks for your comment. Best regards, John
Bro, that engineer that was trying to help people is now in trouble it seems because you put the post I showed you to help you in the actual case file you opened with Honda when the engineer was writing in an unofficial capacity. That wasn't really cool to out him like that when he is trying to help.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bro, that engineer that was trying to help people is now in trouble it seems because you put the post I showed you to help you in the actual case file you opened with Honda when the engineer was writing in an unofficial capacity. That wasn't really cool to out him like that when he is trying to help.
I don't see the issue. Let the truth come out. Either make a good mower or move aside.

Not to brand bash but is it just me or..... is Honda slipping in mower quality the last 3-5 years? I have no mower stake in the game. Only have one Snapper pusher with a Honda GXV160 engine is all I own Honda. Lots of autochoke, can't pull backwards (really??? 2023??) and now this engine problem posts on here.

tzk3jk

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a public forum. You should know better than to make an issue of this. Nobody was "outed". If that engineer was making proprietary information public by posting it on this forum then that is a risk he was assuming. I doubt the truth of your comment.