BR 400 blower leaking gas like a sieve

trooper1954

Threads
Fish....obviously a difficult question without knowing what exactly is wrong with the crank, but is a crank fixable, or something that just simply gets replaced?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, not to say anything about the guys at that shop, but they are probably just trying to get out of working on it.
It is @ 20 years old or so.
I agree with fish. They gave it the 5 minute lookover and figured you wouldn't want to spend the money to troubleshoot it so "it needs a crank". Leave it out by the curb i will be by to pick it up up.?

trooper1954

Threads
But Hammer....in all honesty we did try just about everything else before I took it in....what else could it be if not the crank, and when I get it back is it worth tearing it apart to check? The cost of a new crank is $250....unless I can find a used bblower and get the parts off it. Maybe that $250 is better spent going towards a new blower? Just my view :)

trooper1954

Threads
I've found a replacement crank in Australia that I could get to Canada for less than $100 by mail...take two weeks but best price I can find....probably made in CHI......NA! :cool:

trooper1954

Threads
Also, when I get this home how would I go about determining if it is indeed the crank that's the original problem... and is the crank replacement a job I could do if I've never done it before? Just trying to work out if this would all be worth it?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Things that can go wrong with the crank assy. The crankpin bearing goes bad from lack of oil and overheating. Crank surfaces where case bearings are go bad because bearing seized and spun on shaft. Crank surfaces where case seals ride are damaged and won't seal. End taper and threads damaged by improper servicing. If you take off the flywheel and remove the spark plug and then turn the engine slowly and feel for any play in the case bearings or roughness. You can't look at crank seals and see if they are bad. You need to do a pressure and vacum test the crankcase to check them.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spend the money and get a new blower.