BR 400 blower leaking gas like a sieve

trooper1954

Threads
Air cleaner ports.jpgHi all,
Just fired up my blower for the first time this year and noticed gas leaking everywhere. Have included a few photos and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this leak. Should I disassemble the whole machine or....?? As you can see the lower protion of the blower is badly stained from the gas.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Exhaust.jpgBelow the blower housing.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The carburetor is likely the culprit. You will need to remove the covers to get to it.

br400.PNG

Last edited:

trooper1954

Threads
Thx Fish....should I just replace the carb as I'm not that comfortable taking the carb apart? What do you think would be wrong with the carb? A stuck float or ??

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You say you "fired it up". Does this mean it srarted and ran fine just dumped fuel out of it or does it mean you went to start it and fuel was running out?

trooper1954

Threads
It fired up and ran and the fuel was leaking out while it ran.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check all the fuel lines. If it runs good may not be the carb.

trooper1954

Threads
Thx Hammer....haven't had a chance today but will check them tomorrow.

Born2Mow

Threads
>> I've had to replace the fuel lines on my Stihl saw before. They simply cracked open after several years. I used a universal fuel line kit from Lowes.

>> Don't know if this is true of blowers, but on the saw (since they can be operated in several positions) there is a float bowl breather hose, about 10" long. Whenever that hose pops off the carb, the fuel will leak from the unit in several positions. This happened so often during early ownership that I finally made a tiny hose clamp.

trooper1954

Threads
So guys.....here's the update.
Took the thing apart today and checked the fuel hose....nothing found.
tried to start it afterwards and gas spewing everywhere again.
Took the plug out and pulled the starter.....gas spewing out of the cylinder head plug hole!
Cylinder head and crank full of gas....hydrolocked.
Took the carb apart, cleaned it a little and re assembled....nothing found.
Tried to start again.....spark evident.....will not start but fuel spewing has stopped....no leaks.
Put small amount of gas in cylinder through plug hole...still won't start.
After attempting to start for 1/2 hour have given up.

Surely, with a spark and a small amount of fuel in the cylinder the thing should at least fire briefly??
Looking for what to do next....is it time for a new carb or is that even the issue?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks