Bought an LT1000 yesterday and need help!

craftsmannc

Threads
OK thanks. I definitely think it's a temp issue - I can let the engine idle and it will sit there for a good while without struggling. As soon as I start to mow and take on the hill in my yard it cuts out within 2-3 minutes. It appear to me that when the engine has to start working something quits, so a temp related issue would make sense.

Mikel1

Threads
An in-line tester would be ideal but you could just use a known good spark plug and check for spark when it's happening.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK will do - I've just ordered one on Amazon for $8 so I'll test later this week and then let you know how it's looking. Just to confirm, you're saying use the mower, wait for it to cut out and then use the in line tester tool. Do I then just try starting it again and test both spark plugs?

Thanks
Bugger they have gone up.
As Ilengine posted, pop it on and watch what it does as the engine is dying.
Now it will not tell you if the plug is firing properly it will just show that the module is sending a power pulse to the plug.
It could be shorting out inside the plug all you will know is that the module is working and that is all you are testing.
One thing at a time once you know that both the modules are working then you have eliminated them and all of the ignition cut out wiring.
So you have eliminated 1/3 of the possibleites.

I am a working mechanic and for me time is money.
Being independant I am lucky to see two of the same brand of equipment in any week let alone two of the same units with the same problem.
So the two tools that get used most are the inline tester and the colortune .
Just one little thing I also did was to make up a plug lead extension so I can see the tester when sitting in the seat using the mower

craftsmannc

Threads
I fixed it! Thanks again everyone - turns out a thorough clean of the carb and the fuel filter solved the problem. It must have been fine at idle but then when the engine needed to work it couldn't draw enough fuel through.

Now on to my next minor issue - it drives fine in all gear, but reverse is very slow and 1-4 are very slow. 5th and 6th gear is fly's! 5th gear is too fast and 4th gear seems like less than walking pace, as in someone with a push mower would beat me. My lawn in an odd shape and I don't have long stretches, so I'm not looking to mow in 5th but 4th is making it a longer job than it should be! Would this be a drive belt issue?

hrdman2luv

Threads
I fixed it! Thanks again everyone - turns out a thorough clean of the carb and the fuel filter solved the problem. It must have been fine at idle but then when the engine needed to work it couldn't draw enough fuel through.

Now on to my next minor issue - it drives fine in all gear, but reverse is very slow and 1-4 are very slow. 5th and 6th gear is fly's! 5th gear is too fast and 4th gear seems like less than walking pace, as in someone with a push mower would beat me. My lawn in an odd shape and I don't have long stretches, so I'm not looking to mow in 5th but 4th is making it a longer job than it should be! Would this be a drive belt issue?

I'd say that if you don't smell rubber burning then that's just your gear ratio in the trans. If you want to take the easy way out, you can invest in some bigger tires. That'll increase your speed depending on how big the new tires are.. You can probably find some on craigslist pretty cheap. But you might have to buy a junk mower to get them. But that's ok, (if you have room for it).. You can always used the extra mower as a hobby rebuild. Or take off the tires you need and sell or junk the rest.