Bought an LT1000 yesterday and need help!

craftsmannc

Threads
OK I've got the mower running again thanks to your help - but, it will now mow for 2-3 minutes before cutting out and won't restart until after 20-30 mins.

To get it back up and running I cleaned the battery connectors and made sure they were tight, replaced the air filter, cleaned the fuel cap etc and now it seems to start relatively well.

It mows well up until the point it cuts out, and it's happened today climbing a small hill. I had to increase the throttle to get up the hill in 4th / 5th gear, and then it started to struggle. I'm not sure if the hill is connected or it was coincidence, but either way yesterday and today I had it running for 2-3 minutes of cutting before it gave up.

Any ideas what to check next?

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK I've got the mower running again thanks to your help - but, it will now mow for 2-3 minutes before cutting out and won't restart until after 20-30 mins.

To get it back up and running I cleaned the battery connectors and made sure they were tight, replaced the air filter, cleaned the fuel cap etc and now it seems to start relatively well.

It mows well up until the point it cuts out, and it's happened today climbing a small hill. I had to increase the throttle to get up the hill in 4th / 5th gear, and then it started to struggle. I'm not sure if the hill is connected or it was coincidence, but either way yesterday and today I had it running for 2-3 minutes of cutting before it gave up.

Any ideas what to check next?

Thanks!

Try loosening the fuel can a 1/2 turn or so . It might not be venting and stopping the fuel supply.
When running it should behave the same way as the mower dieing out after you have turned off the fuel tap if you have a venting problem.

The other dying when hot biggie is a failing ignition module test that by checking for regular spark the instant the engine dies.

When faced with this type of problem I pop in an inline spark tester and watch it as the machine heat up. Usually I can pick it starting to flicker if there is an ignition problem.
If this is the case try a second time with the magneto cut out wire disconnected , same thing happens the a new module is the expensive answer.

for smaller engines like chainsaws I use the inductive tacho but that is an expensive piece of kit that is easily damaged so it stays in the shop.

craftsmannc

Threads
I've tried the gas cap as I read that on here before and no luck - didn't change anything unfortunately.

I've also read a few different posts about the ignition module being to blame for this problem, so I'm going to order one and use it as a last resort once I've replaced the gas lines, gas filter, and refreshed the carb.

Is this the right part to be ordering?

Amazon.com : Stens part #440-441, Solid State Module : Industrial & Scientific

Thanks!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like the correct one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
before you shell out for a new module, try buying the in line spark tester which is about $ 5.00 and watch what is happening when it dies.
They are a really handy tool the can be used on anything with a spark plug.

craftsmannc

Threads
OK will do - I've just ordered one on Amazon for $8 so I'll test later this week and then let you know how it's looking. Just to confirm, you're saying use the mower, wait for it to cut out and then use the in line tester tool. Do I then just try starting it again and test both spark plugs?

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I suspect that I have a module going bad I will connect the inline tester before starting the mower, and then run it till it quits, and watch the spark as it is dying. No spark replace module,. Some engines also have a fuel solenoid on the carb, and will act similar. If you have a solenoid, and the spark doesn't disappear, then cycle the key on and off, and listen for the click of the solenoid. No click replace fuel solenoid.

craftsmannc

Threads
I think the Briggs 42A707 does have a solenoid, but as far as I can remember I haven't ever heard a click when turning the ignition since I got it a week or so ago. I've done a lot of playing around with it and probably started it 20 times, but to my knowledge no click. Can you show me what the solenoid should look like so I can double check if there is one on my engine?

Again really appreciate all of your help.... I'm slowly learning!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Perhaps observe when the misses/spark failure occur with regard to engine temp. When the internals are fried the module typically works cold and fails at operating temp.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think the Briggs 42A707 does have a solenoid, but as far as I can remember I haven't ever heard a click when turning the ignition since I got it a week or so ago. I've done a lot of playing around with it and probably started it 20 times, but to my knowledge no click. Can you show me what the solenoid should look like so I can double check if there is one on my engine?

Again really appreciate all of your help.... I'm slowly learning!

if looking at the carb, it should be on the right side, with one or two wires coming out of it.