Bought an LT1000 yesterday and need help!

craftsmannc

Threads
I knew buying a mower off Craigslist for less than $500 wasn't going to get me much of a mower..... but, it was sold to me as a god mower in full working condition. It got delivered, started up fine, and I cut for a few minutes. Then I realized there was a rake on the lawn so I turned off the mower to move the rake. That's when the fun started.....

I tried to start the engine again and it just turned over and over without firing up. Then after 4-5 attempts to start it the battery had died. I charged it back up, charger said 100%, and tried again. This time it seemed to struggle to even turn over, and after two attempts I can now only hear a faint buzzing sound and the engine doesn't turn at all.

The person who sold it to me said the battery was brand new, and as I said it fired up OK the first couple of times but everything's gone downhill since

Any advice would be appreciated

(17.5hp Briggs engine)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
Sounds like the classic decompression problem.
Check the starting system by cranking without a plug in the hole.
If the motor spins freely then you need to adjust the valve lash and for instruction on that we need the model number & code from the engine.
And the model number of the mower itself won't hurt either

craftsmannc

Threads
Firstly thanks for your reply! The mower is model 917 272673 and the engine is a Briggs 17hp 42A707

Any help is very gratefully received

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will make a bold assumption in that it did not come with a manual.
So go to the sears website and download a free copy of the instructions and if available the parts book.

There are a few things that can go wrong to stop it from starting & as it happened when you got off the prime suspect is the safety switch under the seat.
If the plug has fallen off the switch, the mower will not spark.
If the brake is not fully applied the mower will not spark.
I either switch is faulty it will not spark
If the shift is not in neutral it may not spark or might not crank or both ( wiring varies on this one )

Before you try & crank the engien again pull the spark plug because it also could have a bad needle in the carb and the cylinder may be full of liquid petrol which will not compress and can do a lot of damage.

If the mower backfired when you stopped it you could have sheared off the the timing key in the flywheel.

craftsmannc

Threads
Correct, no manual.

When I got off I tried to re-start and it was turning over but not firing. Then after a few more attempts it felt like the battery died. I then charged the battery fully but after that it sounded like it was really struggling to turnover, nowhere near firing, and then after a couple of attempts like that it turned to a click/buzzing noise when I turned the ignition.

So it sounds like something deteriorated fairly quickly. Could it be compression? Or a blocked air filter? I've taken out the air filter and it's definitely old and in need of replacing.

Thanks

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing we are going to need to rule out is the battery connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Next step would be to have the battery load tested at a local auto parts store. Next possibly things would be the starter has overheated and is now failing. If the battery fixes the cranking issue. you will need to remove the spark plugs and reattach one to a wire and while holding it against a good ground on the engine. crank the engine and see if you have spark.

I suspect the battery has shorted a cell internally and has failed. I also suspect that the ignition module has either failed, or there is something wrong with the key switch and sent 12 v to the module and killed it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If bat has screw top cells and you cannot/don't load test look at the condition of the electrolyte. The buzzing/clicking is classic low bat as the guys have said.

craftsmannc

Threads
OK thanks. I've taken another look tonight before I look at the battery and other suggested things tomorrow, and a few things to add:

- Spark plugs were dark, not overly wet, but they were very dark
- Oil level was high, well past the max level
- PHOTO ADDED to show a broken wire that I've just seen for the first time. No idea if it was always like that or if I've accidentally caught the wire with my foot.

Battery was fully charged again so I tried the ignition and the flywheel turns, stops, turns, stops.... as if it's not getting enough power but I suspect it isn't a battery issue.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 29

Mikel1

Threads
First thing we are going to need to rule out is the battery connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Next step would be to have the battery load tested at a local auto parts store.

Yep, I would start with these first.