Bolens Garden tractor with Walbro LMT-4993 carb issues

bcolins

Threads
  • / Bolens Garden tractor with Walbro LMT-4993 carb issues
I doubt the owner of the mower that I am trying to help out ever did this,...but we spoke about this exact thing a week or so ago.

Forest#2

Threads
I doubt the owner of the mower that I am trying to help out ever did this,...but we spoke about this exact thing a week or so ago.

???????????
Are you referencing having a prayer meeting before installing the new carb?????
If so, that would be a good idea.

bcolins

Threads
???????????
Are you referencing having a prayer meeting before installing the new carb?????
If so, that would be a good idea.
Pretty funny,.....no,....referring to cleaning the fan and shroud.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I received the carb, gasket, filter, hose and clamps,....also recieved the items shown in the pic below that I do not recognize ( of course I recognize the screw, but don't recall having a self tapping screw somewhere,.....maybe for a different application?) ,....also one of which appears to be a tool possibly for reaming jets to different sizes. Thoughts?
One item cutting torch tip cleaners. Some use to clean the orifices of the carbs but I would not use them as they can enlarge jets. The big item is a manual choke add-on lever. I never need it.

Now the torch tips cleaners I can as I have a cutting ace/ox torch here.

And one last item in the pic mixture adjust limiter cap for the mixture screw once it is set.

Last edited:
Threads
E-pray is more like it. Most parts are junk.
Flea-bay, lots of junk but you can find decent parts at better than Crapazon prices. Crapazon is junk at a higher price, and more of the china variety crap.

Forest#2

Threads
I suspect that long plastic piece is a choke lever if the carb was to be used on a Emergency gen engine. (their carb chole levers looks like that because the air filter breather is bolted to the front of the carb and the lever sticks up from behind the breather.
You got lucky that the plastic choke lever was not installed on the carb as the only choke. (some repl carbs come with only that one lever for use with the emergency gen engines and the lawn tractor chole lever is not offered separately.

Maybe the carb gods are starting to shine a little bit of light/luck on You.

bcolins

Threads
Good News!
First the Walbro LMT 5-4993 casting number is just the base carburetor before being properly jetted for your engine.

Briggs 791888 is a gravity fed carburetor and has been superseded to 594593. Using this new part number you can find a cheap after market Walbro carburetor. Just beware that these after market carburetors are problematic. The OEM carburetor listed at $120. A good shop mechanic can re-jet the carburetor but that is something has to be done in the shop where they have the correct tools.

To me most DIYers are gamblers and will go for the lowest priced carburetor and then bitch like hell when the engine don't run right.

Just note that most times the original carburetor is repairable. But in your case there have been water sitting in the fuel bowl and the fuel solenoid is likely damaged too.
UPDATE: I finally got around to installing the carbman carb that I found on Amazon using the 594593 part number you referenced. A few sprays of Starting fluid, and it fired right up and ran on the carb. Runs better than when he bought the mower according to the owner. Thanks for the helpful information StarTech.

Attachments

• IMG-5497.jpg
    IMG-5497.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1