Bolens Garden tractor with Walbro LMT-4993 carb issues

Forest#2

Threads
  • / Bolens Garden tractor with Walbro LMT-4993 carb issues
OH! eBay! sorry, didn't make the connection. Why "Fleece"? Isn't fleece a kind of wool fabric for clothing?

verb
  • 1.obtain a great deal of money from (someone), typically by overcharging or swindling them:

bcolins

Threads
verb
  • 1.obtain a great deal of money from (someone), typically by overcharging or swindling them:
Hmmm, I have always felt ebay prices were fair when purchasing something. (or I simply don't buy that item) and I have done over 400 transactions on eBay,....mostly purchases.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You really got to be careful buying from eBay as some items are "HOT". Probably why some my postal shipments disappear in route. Just had $250 in bearings to diappear in the Memphis post office two weeks ago. Matter of fact the Memphis PO has a very bad record of handling packages.

mowermaint

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am trying to help a friend get an old Bolens Lawn mower/tractor running. It would start then die,....seemed like a fuel supply issue. I removed the carb, its a Walbro 4993 with a Briggs and Stratton logo on it, also LMT and the number 77. I decided to clean it up with some brake clean and look for Identification on it and see if I could find a rebuild kit. Some numbers on the valve cover as well, See picture below.

Once I got it clean I removed the fuel bowl and found it had a fair amount of dirt or corrosion flakes in it. Also some of the internal bits looked a bit corroded, maybe water in the old gas? I looked up Walbro 4993 on Google and saw several Walbro LMT 5-4993 carbs for about $15 (new with shipping included) that appear to be the same visually,.....wondering if anyone can tell me if the 5-4993 will replace the older LMT 4993, or if this one can be saved.

Picture of the valve cover with engine numbers below,....the carb picture is too big to attach here but I was able to upload it to the "Photos" section listed at the top of the page. Album is called "Bolens Walbro Carb pics"

Link: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/media/albums/bolens-walbro-carb-pics.7366/

BC in Austin
I suspect that you are the victim of ethanol bad fuel. As others have mentioned you may be able to clean it and fix it but sometimes its just not possible. If you get a new one fortunately there are non-ehtnanol suppliers in your area. Worth every penny.

mowermaint

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a link to tips about LMT carbs.
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

Them old LMT carbs usually re-build and clean up Ok.
Try cleaning at first without removing the emulsion tube.
A proper fitting hollow ground screwdriver is required to fit the emulsion tube or it can be damaged easily.
The replacement carbs are Nikki type clones and it's a roll of the dice to get a good smooth operation.

I've seen used Walbro LMT's on fleece bay for around $20.
You also need to install a red fuel filter and a petcock.

Read #2 post again also.
One gotcha I've encountered with add on fuel filters is that sometimes the fuel pump on the motor is not adequate to keep fuel running thru the filter when under load. I've encountered this on a kawasaki/JD mower and a generaq generator. Now maybe the mistake I made was using a cheap inline filter, in any case I just removed the filter as I figured I was trying to solve a problem I didn't really have.

Forest#2

Threads
One gotcha I've encountered with add on fuel filters is that sometimes the fuel pump on the motor is not adequate to keep fuel running thru the filter when under load. I've encountered this on a kawasaki/JD mower and a generaq generator. Now maybe the mistake I made was using a cheap inline filter, in any case I just removed the filter as I figured I was trying to solve a problem I didn't really have.
Briggs has a red colored fuel filter for engine that are for gravity feed and white fuel filters for pump feed. The white is a finer micron filter and will sometimes not let enough gas flow when installed on gravity fed.
Also the Briggs white will get restricted faster if the fuel/tank is dirty.
Yes, his carb looks like his carb has stage 4 cancer from ethanol/water contamination.

LMPPLUS

Threads
I am trying to help a friend get an old Bolens Lawn mower/tractor running. It would start then die,....seemed like a fuel supply issue. I removed the carb, its a Walbro 4993 with a Briggs and Stratton logo on it, also LMT and the number 77. I decided to clean it up with some brake clean and look for Identification on it and see if I could find a rebuild kit. Some numbers on the valve cover as well, See picture below.

Once I got it clean I removed the fuel bowl and found it had a fair amount of dirt or corrosion flakes in it. Also some of the internal bits looked a bit corroded, maybe water in the old gas? I looked up Walbro 4993 on Google and saw several Walbro LMT 5-4993 carbs for about $15 (new with shipping included) that appear to be the same visually,.....wondering if anyone can tell me if the 5-4993 will replace the older LMT 4993, or if this one can be saved.

Picture of the valve cover with engine numbers below,....the carb picture is too big to attach here but I was able to upload it to the "Photos" section listed at the top of the page. Album is called "Bolens Walbro Carb pics"

Link: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/media/albums/bolens-walbro-carb-pics.7366/

BC in Austin
It's the luck of the draw on a Amazon / Ebay product there's no quality control, doesn't seem to be an actual cross to a decent after market carb, but there are some that might work. Good luck

bcolins

Threads
I received the carb, gasket, filter, hose and clamps,....also recieved the items shown in the pic below that I do not recognize ( of course I recognize the screw, but don't recall having a self tapping screw somewhere,.....maybe for a different application?) ,....also one of which appears to be a tool possibly for reaming jets to different sizes. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG-5324 (1).jpg
    IMG-5324 (1).jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
E-pray is more like it. Most parts are junk.