Bolens Garden tractor with Walbro LMT-4993 carb issues

bcolins

Threads
  • / Bolens Garden tractor with Walbro LMT-4993 carb issues
I am trying to help a friend get an old Bolens Lawn mower/tractor running. It would start then die,....seemed like a fuel supply issue. I removed the carb, its a Walbro 4993 with a Briggs and Stratton logo on it, also LMT and the number 77. I decided to clean it up with some brake clean and look for Identification on it and see if I could find a rebuild kit. Some numbers on the valve cover as well, See picture below.

Once I got it clean I removed the fuel bowl and found it had a fair amount of dirt or corrosion flakes in it. Also some of the internal bits looked a bit corroded, maybe water in the old gas? I looked up Walbro 4993 on Google and saw several Walbro LMT 5-4993 carbs for about $15 (new with shipping included) that appear to be the same visually,.....wondering if anyone can tell me if the 5-4993 will replace the older LMT 4993, or if this one can be saved.

Picture of the valve cover with engine numbers below,....the carb picture is too big to attach here but I was able to upload it to the "Photos" section listed at the top of the page. Album is called "Bolens Walbro Carb pics"

Link: https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/media/albums/bolens-walbro-carb-pics.7366/

BC in Austin

Attachments

• IMG-5129.jpg
    IMG-5129.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First the Walbro LMT 5-4993 casting number is just the base carburetor before being properly jetted for your engine.

Briggs 791888 is a gravity fed carburetor and has been superseded to 594593. Using this new part number you can find a cheap after market Walbro carburetor. Just beware that these after market carburetors are problematic. The OEM carburetor listed at $120. A good shop mechanic can re-jet the carburetor but that is something has to be done in the shop where they have the correct tools.

To me most DIYers are gamblers and will go for the lowest priced carburetor and then bitch like hell when the engine don't run right.

Just note that most times the original carburetor is repairable. But in your case there have been water sitting in the fuel bowl and the fuel solenoid is likely damaged too.

bcolins

Threads
First the Walbro LMT 5-4993 casting number is just the base carburetor before being properly jetted for your engine.

Briggs 791888 is a gravity fed carburetor and has been superseded to 594593. Using this new part number you can find a cheap after market Walbro carburetor. Just beware that these after market carburetors are problematic. The OEM carburetor listed at $120. A good shop mechanic can re-jet the carburetor but that is something has to be done in the shop where they have the correct tools.

To me most DIYers are gamblers and will go for the lowest priced carburetor and then bitch like hell when the engine don't run right.

Just note that most times the original carburetor is repairable. But in your case there have been water sitting in the fuel bowl and the fuel solenoid is likely damaged too.
I found a Walbro 594593 carb on Amazon for $15 from "Carbman", figured it was worth a shot, if it doesn't work,...I'm only out $15.

Forest#2

Threads
Here is a link to tips about LMT carbs.
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

Them old LMT carbs usually re-build and clean up Ok.
Try cleaning at first without removing the emulsion tube.
A proper fitting hollow ground screwdriver is required to fit the emulsion tube or it can be damaged easily.
The replacement carbs are Nikki type clones and it's a roll of the dice to get a good smooth operation.

I've seen used Walbro LMT's on fleece bay for around $20.
You also need to install a red fuel filter and a petcock.

Read #2 post again also.

bcolins

Threads
I have tried to remove the emulsion tube a few times with a properly fitting screw driver bit, have let it soak in PB Blaster, and it is still seized or frozen in the carb.

Forest#2

Threads
You usually only get one shot with a screwdriver when trying to remove the emulsion tube from a Walbro LMT.

AND
the majority of them so called replacement LMT carb's are not really Walbro LMT, they are a Nikki LMT clone and do be SURPRISED if you get a good running smooth one.
If buying from Amazon Prime you can keep returning until you maybe get one you can live with.
Every once in awhile a real Walbro LMT will surface on fleece bay at a reasonable price.
Sometimes (as a last ditch effort) lots of high pressure air through a stuck in place LMT emulsion tube will get a good run after it's been soaked awhile.

bcolins

Threads
You usually only get one shot with a screwdriver when trying to remove the emulsion tube from a Walbro LMT.

AND
the majority of them so called replacement LMT carb's are not really Walbro LMT, they are a Nikki LMT clone and do be SURPRISED if you get a good running smooth one.
If buying from Amazon Prime you can keep returning until you maybe get one you can live with.
Every once in awhile a real Walbro LMT will surface on fleece bay at a reasonable price.
Sometimes (as a last ditch effort) lots of high pressure air through a stuck in place LMT emulsion tube will get a good run after it's been soaked awhile.
Not familiar with fleece bay

Forest#2

Threads
You say:

You are a rare breed if you have not experienced fleece bay.
Just type into the search bar what you are looking for and you can do a SAVED search so as to get a email notice if whatever you are seeking appears later.
try this link. (and keeps a heads up about sellers feedbacks, etc.)

bcolins

Threads
You say:

You are a rare breed if you have not experienced fleece bay.
Just type into the search bar what you are looking for and you can do a SAVED search so as to get a email notice if whatever you are seeking appears later.
try this link. (and keeps a heads up about sellers feedbacks, etc.)
OH! eBay! sorry, didn't make the connection. Why "Fleece"? Isn't fleece a kind of wool fabric for clothing?