Blowing fuses with key off

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes a bad key switch can contribute to the problem, but you’re going to have to do some electrical troubleshooting to make sure.

So far so good on the new key switch. I've never heard of a bad key switch causing this. It makes me think I'm overlooking something. But if it wasn't the key switch, I feel like I would've already blown another fuse.
When you say "contributing" to the problem, I get worried.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the key switch was directly shorting from the B terminal to the G terminal, this would cause the problem. If it shorting through a different terminal then you will need to do more troubleshooting.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Customers request when he dropped it off. "I don't want to put much money into this." smh

Just run away as fast as you can and don't look back. When you hear that just tell them to load it back up. It is either a POS sombody gave them instead of throwing it away. Or it crapped years ago and has been setting for years and will need a hell if a lot more than "not much". When these roll in and the engi e is not runnig i give an initial estimate of $500 and up. They are always a POS can of worms. I ask if they want me to stop at a certain dollar amount or do they want it fixed because they are never the same cost.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just run away as fast as you can and don't look back. When you hear that just tell them to load it back up. It is either a POS sombody gave them instead of throwing it away. Or it crapped years ago and has been setting for years and will need a hell if a lot more than "not much". When these roll in and the engi e is not runnig i give an initial estimate of $500 and up. They are always a POS can of worms. I ask if they want me to stop at a certain dollar amount or do they want it fixed because they are never the same cost.

Yes sir. I did the diagnostic, told him it was the the key switch, and the cost. Then called him back and told him the PTO wasn't coming on, and if he wanted me to diagnose it. He agreed. Then called him back about some other minor something or other, he agreed. But then said, Just call me when you start getting close to $200.
1/2 hour later, I called him back told him the PTO was shot, gave him that price. He shrugged and agreed.
His shrugging immediately sent off big red flag. So I told him to drop off the parts money for that.
Which is usually my requirement for parts over $100, with new customers. I'm not going to order it til I get the money.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is always a problem
I have a small ZTR been in the yard for close to 2 years now.
The blades had been bent , broke the spindle & chopped up the deck.
They just set it aside for heaven knows how long so the nuts on the air filter cover had rusted solid to the studs then they used grips to try & turn the nuts buggering the other end so the stds now turned freely in the blower housing . BAttery was flat & engine would not turn over by hand .
SO it was a new blower housing & $ 300 ( Aus ) and a 5 month wait then another $ 200 in service labour + blades + spindle + $ 200 in deck welding .
So by the time I could actually drive the mower it was over $ 1000 and when tested the trannys are both shot
So customer is bitching because that will add another $ 1000 to a mower that is only 3 years old and was $ 5000 new

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is always a problem
I have a small ZTR been in the yard for close to 2 years now.
The blades had been bent , broke the spindle & chopped up the deck.
They just set it aside for heaven knows how long so the nuts on the air filter cover had rusted solid to the studs then they used grips to try & turn the nuts buggering the other end so the stds now turned freely in the blower housing . BAttery was flat & engine would not turn over by hand .
SO it was a new blower housing & $ 300 ( Aus ) and a 5 month wait then another $ 200 in service labour + blades + spindle + $ 200 in deck welding .
So by the time I could actually drive the mower it was over $ 1000 and when tested the trannys are both shot
So customer is bitching because that will add another $ 1000 to a mower that is only 3 years old and was $ 5000 new

You're backed up two years? Did you ever think about getting some help? lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
It is finished
Customer does not want to pay $ 1000 for a mower that barely moves
Got quite a few jobs that have been sitting around for a few years because they came in just before I got really sick
Those customers all have one of my loaners till I can get around to fixing their mowers .
Right now some parts take near a year to turn up .

lbrac

Threads
Update, I found a key for a used key switch I had, and replaced the old one. And so far, so good on the fuse.

Oops, I just remembered, I still have that 25A fuse in it.

Man this mower has a bunch of issues. The PTO isn't clicking when I pull the button. Got down there to check to see if it was getting power, and there's no PTO stop on it. The only thing that was stopping it was the hard plastic harness where the wires go into the PTO. LMAO..

Customers request when he dropped it off. "I don't want to put much money into this." smh
No one wants to spend much for anything! Everyone has a different opinion as to what is too much, so it is best to determine the customer's perception of too much before starting. It could be obvious that repairs will be more expensive than they are willing to spend.

I want to spend only enough to find out what is wrong, and what it will cost to repair the necessary thing(s), and items directly associated with those repairs. If there are optional items that do not limit the functionality of the equipment, I'll consider them as a separate cost. If the necessary repairs are not too expensive, based on the age and condition of the equipment, then optional items should be deferred until the critical repair outcomes are known to be successful. Of course there are always exceptions, but you have to start somewhere. The condition of the equipment after repair is also an important factor, because items in obviously poor condition might soon cost more to keep the equipment going.

The rule of thumb for industrial equipment is to limit the cost of overhaul to 50% of the cost of a new replacement. There are also exceptions to this too, like what new offerings are available that offer better features, etc., and the lead time for acquisition.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
No one wants to spend much for anything! Everyone has a different opinion as to what is too much, so it is best to determine the customer's perception of too much before starting. It could be obvious that repairs will be more expensive than they are willing to spend.

I want to spend only enough to find out what is wrong, and what it will cost to repair the necessary thing(s), and items directly associated with those repairs. If there are optional items that do not limit the functionality of the equipment, I'll consider them as a separate cost. If the necessary repairs are not too expensive, based on the age and condition of the equipment, then optional items should be deferred until the critical repair outcomes are known to be successful. Of course there are always exceptions, but you have to start somewhere. The condition of the equipment after repair is also an important factor, because items in obviously poor condition might soon cost more to keep the equipment going.

The rule of thumb for industrial equipment is to limit the cost of overhaul to 50% of the cost of a new replacement. There are also exceptions to this too, like what new offerings are available that offer better features, etc., and the lead time for acquisition.

This could be a nice mower. Fairly low hours on it. It's oily from easily repaired oil leaks. In fact, I was almost hoping he'd balk at the price of the new clutch and just say "keep it." But he mentioned something about picking it up, so I gave him a price on an aftermarket clutch.
He went with that.