Blower and vac system issue

Polaris192

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a woods 6250 with a 52" deck. I put a grasshopper power vac/bagging setup on it. I have a problem with the left side of the deck actually blowing grass and leaves out in front of the deck. It's bad enough that my legs get covered in debris and it fails to pickup all of the clippings. The deck still has a mulching kit on it. It does vac up grass and leaves but not like it should. I had a 64" deck setup that picked up much more and that also still had the multching kit on it. Any thoughts?
-Tim

tlm51

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a bagger unit on my 61" grasshopper deck (729 tractor) that does the same thing. There is so much negative air pressure blowing out the left side of the deck that leaves struggle to make it under the deck lip; and leaves bunch up on the right side in such volume that never make it inside the deck. This is the second season for using this bagger system. Any help from you seasoned veterans on this issue would be appreciated.

BWH

Threads
Polaris192 I could be wrong but doesn't the mulching kit stop the grass from escaping out the right discharge chute? if so, the blower would be ineffective and you would still be in mulching mode. You should remove the mulching kit while bagging as well as be running mid-lift blades.

tim51 I have a 61 deck with bagger and the only time it blows out like you describe is when the blower or blow tube are plugged or the hopper is full and plug both of them. You may want to check that your blower belt is not broken. When you take the blow tube off the hopper and engage the mower deck there should be a lot of wind and loud howling.

Polaris192

Forum Newbie
Threads
Polaris192 I could be wrong but doesn't the mulching kit stop the grass from escaping out the right discharge chute? if so, the blower would be ineffective and you would still be in mulching mode. You should remove the mulching kit while bagging as well as be running mid-lift blades.

tim51 I have a 61 deck with bagger and the only time it blows out like you describe is when the blower or blow tube are plugged or the hopper is full and plug both of them. You may want to check that your blower belt is not broken. When you take the blow tube off the hopper and engage the mower deck there should be a lot of wind and loud howling.

Yeah I was thinking about removing the mulching kit as well. I looked at the other deck I took off that I had no issues with and that one has a mulching kit on it as well so I don't think it is the mulching kit. Would the blade orientation maybe have something to do with it? I never looked it there was a "correct" way to attach them sequence wise.

BWH

Threads
Yeah I was thinking about removing the mulching kit as well. I looked at the other deck I took off that I had no issues with and that one has a mulching kit on it as well so I don't think it is the mulching kit. Would the blade orientation maybe have something to do with it? I never looked it there was a "correct" way to attach them sequence wise.
The blade orientation would not matter due to the deck being belt driven the orientation changes because of slippage, only gear driven decks like a Walker maintain blade timing. What kind of air flow do you generate with the upper tube disconnected? It should be substantial with a loud howling sound if the blower is turning recommended rpm and unobstructed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The blade orientation would not matter due to the deck being belt driven the orientation changes because of slippage, only gear driven decks like a Walker maintain blade timing. What kind of air flow do you generate with the upper tube disconnected? It should be substantial with a loud howling sound if the blower is turning recommended rpm and unobstructed.
And not meaning to nit pick, decks with overlapping blades also need to be timed but they will use a toothed belt like a cam belt on a small car engine .
But you just never know who is reading these posts in the future .

Polaris192

Forum Newbie
Threads
It blows out alot an makes the howling sound. It seems the same as my other larger deck.
I'm going to try dropping the front of the deck so it's about 1/2" lower in the front then back.
It has Factory blades that I just changed. I thought that was the problem (blades) as they were previously after market but its the same. I think it is only about 1/4 difference right now front to back. I can't see the mulching kit making a difference either if I remove it.

BWH

Threads
It blows out alot an makes the howling sound. It seems the same as my other larger deck.
I'm going to try dropping the front of the deck so it's about 1/2" lower in the front then back.
It has Factory blades that I just changed. I thought that was the problem (blades) as they were previously after market but its the same. I think it is only about 1/4 difference right now front to back. I can't see the mulching kit making a difference either if I remove it.
Well, were getting down to the only difference between our machines is the mulching kit, I guess I not real familiar with the Grasshopper mulching kit. Does it have the metal bands around the perimeter of the deck including the side discharge port? Again, I've never had a mulching kit but it would seem like closing off the side discharge would be necessary for mulching. Just thinking out loud

BWH

Threads
And not meaning to nit pick, decks with overlapping blades also need to be timed but they will use a toothed belt like a cam belt on a small car engine .
But you just never know who is reading these posts in the future .
Interesting Thanks for sharing, I've seen the gear timing units but not the cam belt style decks. This is why I enjoy this site there is a lot of knowledge out there, I benefit from it quite often.

Polaris192

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, were getting down to the only difference between our machines is the mulching kit, I guess I not real familiar with the Grasshopper mulching kit. Does it have the metal bands around the perimeter of the deck including the side discharge port? Again, I've never had a mulching kit but it would seem like closing off the side discharge would be necessary for mulching. Just thinking out loud
Not sure if it has the band by the discharge. I think I will remove the mulching kit like yours. To clarify my mower and deck are woods. The blower/vac is off a grasshopper. Thanks for the advice. I was getting annoyed yesterday vacuuming the leaves lol.