Big Box Store or Local Dealer

Big Box or Dealer

• Total voters

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I always buy from a dealer. There is more product at a dealer instead of a big box store. Supports the local economy, too.

clay45

Threads
I buy from both. My SCAG dealer doesn't carry lumber.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I also buy from both.

Home Depot sells air filters about $5 cheaper then most dealers. Same with belts almost half price.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kinda looking for a "Garden tractor" which could take a sleeve hitch ( and ground engaging stuff like landscape rakes) so visited the local Husqy dealeer. They did not know what a sleeve hitch is. The big Husqy looked good at $3300 and free delivery . Why good? It has a Kawasaki and positraction. The dealer told me commercial Kaws push valve guides- WTF? I had also looked at Sears , $3000, but with Briggs .

I found Lowes has better price on air filters-surprise. So I guess I look at both sources which is no response.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always buy from a dealer. There is more product at a dealer instead of a big box store. Supports the local economy, too.

Lazer, I meant to thank you for respose on another thread, but lost you. I am still struggling with my 1/3 acre of weeds. (Sorry off topic)

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Lazer, I meant to thank you for respose on another thread, but lost you. I am still struggling with my 1/3 acre of weeds. (Sorry off topic)

Did you try weed killer or herbicide ??

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I also buy from both.

Home Depot sells air filters about $5 cheaper then most dealers. Same with belts almost half price.

I only buy equipment and certain parts from a dealer.

I agree with air filters and belts, they are WAY cheaper, and the same exact thing.

Pumper54

Threads
Bought my big mower from the dealer and have them service it but I buy expendables at the local hardware store or big box store. Oil, filters, blades and belts are cheaper at the BBS.
Tom

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
These discussions remind me of those about local (mom-pop) market and being eaten alive by a Wal Mart. Despite loyalties and local flavor the overwhelming push to big box is pricing, IMO. Sears is a puzzling one...Mom-pop prices on accessories , but competitive prices on some big ticket item. This is a strategy similar to the printer industry and cell phone industry, practically giving the machinery away to make it up on e.g., ink. But Sears 48" blades at 2 to 3 times competitors' price makes no sense. Also I have met savy and experienced sales people in Sears and Lowes, but they are hamstrung to tell all due to their position. When I bought my dyt 4000 I did not think the engine would fail within 2 years, but I think the sales dude knew the problems an average owner would have , and was surprised about my refusal of exended warranty. Of course he could not volunteer information. On the other hand I just visited a Husq dealer whose employees talked some nonsense and seemed limited in knowledge.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Walmart is made in China B*****it. Eating locally owned business that have most product Made in USA.