Best Zero Turn Mower Brands

Thin & Crispy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you please tell us what model your Ferris mower is?

Gil

Threads
Hear good and bad reports from friends and neighbors. Moved from a John Deere lawn tractor mower to a Zero Turn in 2010. Gravely HD 60. Have had two major problems with mower. After a couple of years stress cracks starting appearing in the deck. In fact one of bolts holding a pulley broke out of deck. Took mower to a welder and we were taking about he had never seen as many stress cracks in a deck before and starting looking closely at deck. His assessment was deck was misaligned in the jig when manufactured and was warped. Put a straight edge on it in several directions and showed me. He recommended going back to dealer and ask for replacement. Which I did. Gravely finely agreed to replace after jumping thru a bunch of hoops. But insisted I pay for the labor to replace. Don't think they were correct in doing that as it was NOT anything I had done or misused. Second item of complaint is engine design. Its a Kawasaki. The carburetor is at engine level on rear as is the air intake. Grass clipping, trash, dust, etc is drawn by air flow around mower into the breather making air filter cleaning and/or replacement necessary after every use. Note some models now have the air intake several inches above the engine and a precleaner. Should I replace my ZeroTurn I would want one with the air intake above the engine and airflow of mowing.

Atexan11

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I'm looking for a Zero turn Mower and started reading posts on here.
But I also using the internet for research but every time I try searches like Best Zero Turn Mower 2017 or 2018 I get results of
Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Most of these lists don't even show brands that everyone is talking about on here like;
Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

Why don't these brands show up?
I bought a Ferris 400 S residential mower last year for my 2 acres.. It is a great mower, highly recommend. You can also look at the Kubota and Scag which were also on my list

Atexan11

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well right now I definitely like the Radius E over the Hustler Raptor SD
Hard to compare to the Toro since I only looked at the MX4200.
I need to go to another Toro dealer which will be closer to where I will live, and also go to the EXmark dealer close to my new home to check out there facility and service.
I would also like to check out 3 other dealers near there that sell SCAG, Gravely, and the last carries both Ferris and Snapper. I don't want to rule these mowers out without at least checking what they have to offer.
And also see the service they all provide.

I'm probably going to stick with something between 48" and 54" deck. And the deck has to be a Fabricated Deck, not a stamped deck
you won't go wrong with the Ferris 400s. Mine is a 48" deck and I 've had it about 10 months. No complaints.

qmark

Threads
A couple more comments on my front mount Grasshopper. It is really good for getting under bushes etc. where a mid mount can't. I also move some stuff on the deck such as taking a battery to a different part of the yard for something, or moving a garbage can down to the pickup site. But the best is mounting a 20 gallon sprayer with its electric pump on the deck with a couple of strap. It is very maneuverable to get around our hobby orchard for spraying trees and the grape arbors.
In winter the deck comes off and a snow plough mounts on the front.

Its Me

Threads
you right they are good mowers but there is no dealers in the area where I live and don't see them, years ago I worked on one with the out front mower, it was a nice machine, glad for you, Joe

qmark

Threads
you right they are good mowers but there is no dealers in the area where I live and don't see them, years ago I worked on one with the out front mower, it was a nice machine, glad for you, Joe
Yes, no dealer in my area either, for any of them.

The Alchemist

Threads
I have a Kubota Kommander model and love it. It's got the 3100 hydros, the fully fab'd deck (48") which is the only thing I'd love to upgrade and go with a 60" if possible.

subtlestang

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well right now I definitely like the Radius E over the Hustler Raptor SD
Hard to compare to the Toro since I only looked at the MX4200.
I need to go to another Toro dealer which will be closer to where I will live, and also go to the EXmark dealer close to my new home to check out there facility and service.
I would also like to check out 3 other dealers near there that sell SCAG, Gravely, and the last carries both Ferris and Snapper. I don't want to rule these mowers out without at least checking what they have to offer.
And also see the service they all provide.

I'm probably going to stick with something between 48" and 54" deck. And the deck has to be a Fabricated Deck, not a stamped deck
I had a Hustler Sport 48" for 7 years, no major repairs...changed oil, blades, and filters, greased a few points. Decided to replace, looked at Hustler Raptors, was NOT impressed with the decks. Looked at a lot, but settled on a Graveley ZT HD 54" 3 years ago. Other than regular maintenance, it's worked perfect. The 5.5" derp deck works in all sorts of grass, even making damp mowing Ok. The unit weighs a lot more than the Hustler, the Kawasaki engine provides more than enough power, and the extra width makes it a LOT more stable on hillsides and ditches.

Would I repeat the purchase? Yes, and not think twice!