Best Zero Turn Mower Brands

gman480

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm a grasshopper guy all the way. They do have a homeowner line. I've Owned 3. My current is a 900d. Yes they're pricey. They started the zero turn idea. If you have a question just call the factory they will be glad to help. Good customer service .

Jmaler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Earlier in this thread one of the guys mentioned a ZTR that could mow a pasture and it would look like a golf course.

Well I have a pasture and I trying to decide between a 3-pt finish mower behind my tractor and a ZTR.

Any input will be appreciated.

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I'm looking for a Zero turn Mower and started reading posts on here.
But I also using the internet for research but every time I try searches like Best Zero Turn Mower 2017 or 2018 I get results of
Poulan Pro
Husqvarna
Troy-bilt

Most of these lists don't even show brands that everyone is talking about on here like;
Gravely
Scag
Hustler
EXMark
Toro

Why don't these brands show up?
Hands down, if you have any hills or slopes, Cub Cadet with the steering wheel control instead of lap bars. I spent a great part of my career in the industry and always knew it could be done, and Cub has.

They stick to a slope just as well as a conventional lawn or garden tractor, and better than many due to a low center of gravity.

whirly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stay away from the Toro. I bought a brand new Toro and 1 month into mowing the main control module went toes up. They said it got wet!

I finally got the part and the machine back up and running SIX MONTHS after the initial request for parts on a warranty item and the model was still being manufactured.They run great until something breaks and then you are out of commission for months.

I currently have a Scag and it has done everything I have asked of it on my 10ac hobby farm.

erbug

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a lawn mower shop in Arlington Texas. I tell my customers that there are five good zero turn brands and I sell three of them. Toro, Scag, Grasshopper, John Deere and Kubota. I also, think there is a good second their of manufactures that provide a lot of value. As a dealership, we recently dropped Gravely because of quality issues although for other reasons as well. We used to sell Husqvarna and found their products high quality but parts were a nightmare. We used to sell Bob-Cat and they were very good and simple to work on but didn't sell well in our area. Similar story for Exmark. That said.... I also tell customers to go to a local dealership they trust and buy from them. They will assembly the product properly, adjust the tire pressure, level the deck, give you an extra key, change the oil before it leaves the dealer and even show you how to release the hydro's so that when your mower won't start you can actually push it out of the way of your wife's car so she can get to the beauty shop. At Lowes and Home Depot you might be lucky if they know how to start it. We just had a customer this week go buy "last years model" Toro at Home Depot. Toro makes a good mower. This Toro doesn't start and the customer has already bought two new batteries for it. He's bringing it to us this week to fix. It's brand new! Literally! You just can't fix stupid.

gladiator801

Threads
Every mower has some problems, toro owns exmark and there is little difference between them. I have a toro HMR 1600 that was made in 1989 only [was pre zero turm turned on 4 inch circle] was over $3000 at the time but it is best mower I ever had 52 inch cut and positraction when going straight. Deck still has original spindles [ greaseable once a month.has over 3350 hrs still runs great. I have bought a used toro g3 now a commercial grade mower. It is very heavy with me on it over1600 lbs and 23 hp sure burns fuel to pull all that around. It will go over 10 mph but no way can you mow at that speed.

qmark

Threads
A big consideration is what deck location. I have a Gasshopper with the front mount deck which is great for getting under our many bushes and trees and grapes.
I also changed from a gas engine to a diesel giving way more power and torque and about a 1/3 of the fuel use. It is also very simple to work on, and has standard bearings that are ready available. There is no dealer of any sort close.

PeterJones

Threads
Did a lot of research 5 years ago and ended up buying a Scag. All I can say it has met all my expectations in terms of quality cutting and exceeded my hopes in terms of build quality and materials. I had the 29HP Briggs Stratton which had an oil leak from the get go and the engine seized and was replaced after 700 hours but the mower itself has never missed a beat.

DaveOhio

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased my Hustler Raptor SD 54" w/23 HP Kawasaki about 5 years ago brand new. The main thing that sealed the deal for me was that Hustler had a deal going for 0% interest for 48 months at the time and it was in budget. I was going back and forth between the 48 and 54 but went with the 54 because of the bigger tires and it just seemed all around beefier. I like the foot pedal to raise the deck because I do mow some hilly terrain and it's nice to be able to lift the deck while still driving when I need to, to avoid scalping the grass. I guess my dealer sucks because I vaguely remember a few problems from the start and were all prep related. Tire pressures were all above 20 lbs. Took me a couple of times mowing the yard to figure out why it was riding so rough. This was my first ZT so it was all new to me. Picked it up with my 5' wide trailer and really struggled to get the confidence to get it on there with about 2-3 inches clearance on each side. Drove it around their large lot for about a half hour to get more comfortable with it enough to load it. In hindsight, it might have been nice if someone had offered to drive it on the trailer. Had it back there for another warranty or set-up issue but I can't remember what that issue was. It was corrected in a few days and I picked it back up. The one that I'd call a major issue was 2 years ago when the bolts holding the right hydro loosened up to the point that it threw a drive belt and made the wheel lean and lost the ability to move. I wasn't sure what the problem was until I winched it back up on my trailer and got it home and jacked it up. Don't remember exactly how many bolts were missing or broke and how many were still there just loose. Checked the other side while I had it up but didn't find any problems, but ended up replacing all of them with heavier duty bolts. Haven't had any problems since. It now has about 210 hours on it. For some reason I still love it though. :)

poncho144

Threads
My 2011 27 hp Briggs ZTR Simplicity is still go'in strong after 9 years of abuse from me and the elements.I reworked the Spindles an couple pullies, put Knobbies on it for more grip an Sno Blade. I use it also to push/haul drift wood that comes up on my small estate from Ohio River every year an just work the heck outta it. Also,I have a bank to cut an it gets a little squirrely, breaks traction even with the knobby tires so I finally picked up a new conventional steer Husqvarna rated at 25 hp Kohler which is strange 'cause the engines are the same size. 725cc.
Now, the Husky doesn't slip on the steep bank but does not seem to have the power with the Kohler engine compared to the Briggs when moving drift wood around. Also, on start up the Choke is man, compared to the Simplicity's electric choke an the K engine sounds like it is kick'n back while emitting strange sounds. Not a solid transition from off to on in my book. I kinda wish I bought the first Husky I checked out with a Briggs rated at 26 hp an 725cc. The Rack Steering looks kinda puny to me but tighter, so far, than other Lumber Yard outlets mowers Ive had in the past.
Further, the RPM of the Blades are phenomenal on the Husky, has a nice semi roar go'in on and due to the Hi Velocity seems to lend to a non stick affect for the grass.
I paid just under 2 grand for the Simplicity in 2011 and a little over 3 grand last Winter for the Yard Tractor Size Husky. Rear wheels are 5 Bolt, 23" X10.50X12 front are 16X6.50X8, has Diff Lock, Fab Deck which is HEAVY 'cause I just had to take it off (that'll be the Last Time) Spindle Grease fittings are topside, Batt is under the hood an EZ to handle, the Engine Air Filter is cool, two small levers to twist to open exposing a nice size Washable Filter Cartridge. Deck Operator is manual, whereas the Simplicity is Electric an Oil Filter is Heavier an easy to get to.
I plan on turning the ZTR into a 4 Wheel Drive Unit 'cause it likes heavy Grunt work, BUT, I REALLY should get a nice size Farm Tractor with a Bucket. My lil woman sez I have 'nuff "Toys" with all my Tools, Motorcycle, Guitars an Guns. Is there really such a thing?.
Good Luck with your new mower, whatever you decide on......