Best Oil To Use For Kawasaki

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just purchased a Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ mower with a commercial Kawasaki FX691V 22hp engine. I have always had Briggs & Stratton mower engines and used the SAE30 B & S oil with very good results(never had any oil leaks or consumption). A buddy of mine with a six year old Gravley 260 with the commercial FH721V 25hp Kaw engine says he ran Mobil1 10w30(non-synthetic) for the first year, then switched to Mobil1 10w30 synthetic(upon the Gravely dealer's advice). The manual on my Kaw engine states:"Using multi-grade oils(5w20,10w30 and 10w40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." so I am again inclined to use the SAE30, but not real sure. For my truck and cars I have ALWAYS run Pennzoil 10w30(again with excellent results) and I'm certain that Pennzoil has a SAE30 oil. Any advice that will help me keep this Kawasaki engine "like new" for the next decade or so?????

Best to use for Kawasaki engine is probably kawasaki oil. It's got a good dose of zinc added to it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
And there are better options.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like wallymart is discontinuing the 2 gallon jugs. It was $19.22 for 2 gallons or $2.40 a quart. I've ran it for years in Briggs and Kawasaki engines with no issues. Actually it runs really clean compared to other 30w oils.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
But do you know what is in it ? Is it good for solid lifter engines ?
Wasn't aware mower engines had solid lifters. I've ran Supertech 30w for years with zero issues. Far as I know Supertech 30w is top rated 30w oil.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That Walmart oil has no diesel classification approval, if that matters to the user.

FWIW, you can buy good, gasoline and diesel rated oil such as the Rotella T-4 that Buddy mentioned for around $3 a quart ($12/gallon).
I do not own any Diesel OPE engines so I'm good.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last season I changed the oil in my mower that has a Briggs engine on it, I used 10-30 oil. It wasn't long it was smoking a little but as the season went on it became a fogger machine. I figured the engine was shot as the spark plug was completely fouled. Then I remembered the owners manual that says use 30 oil in it I changed the oil and a new plug and as soon as it got hot enough to burn the oil in the muffler, it quite smoking. I finished the season and has cut my grass once the season and no smoke and haven't added any oil.
I never use a multi-viscosity in an OPE mower engines. Good old tried and true 30w doesn't smoke or burn for me. In grass cutting season, above 70F, 30w oil is perfect in air cooled engines.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wasn't aware mower engines had solid lifters. I've ran Supertech 30w for years with zero issues. Far as I know Supertech 30w is top rated 30w oil.

slomo

The Kawasaki's have solid lifters, Least the ones I'm familiar with do.

Krazy

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the jobs of engine oil is to clean the engine by holding the contaminants in suspension so that they will be taken out of the engine when the oil is drained. 'Black' motor oil is not a bad thing. It's evidence that that the oil is doing its job of holding contaminants in suspension.
Your all wrong if you used a full synthetic like Amsoil it would not be black just nutty brown,it lubricates,doesn't eat the block like the oil they pull out of the ground,with the high heat it doesn't break down.change it once a year still nutty brown i should know been using it in my mowers and my trucks for over 30 years.prove me wrong go to their site

steveyrock

Threads
Most mower engines outlast the rest of the machine, can't go wrong with straight 30 wt though.
I have used 15-40 Diesel oil many times too.