Best Oil To Use For Kawasaki

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just purchased a Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ mower with a commercial Kawasaki FX691V 22hp engine. I have always had Briggs & Stratton mower engines and used the SAE30 B & S oil with very good results(never had any oil leaks or consumption). A buddy of mine with a six year old Gravley 260 with the commercial FH721V 25hp Kaw engine says he ran Mobil1 10w30(non-synthetic) for the first year, then switched to Mobil1 10w30 synthetic(upon the Gravely dealer's advice). The manual on my Kaw engine states:"Using multi-grade oils(5w20,10w30 and 10w40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." so I am again inclined to use the SAE30, but not real sure. For my truck and cars I have ALWAYS run Pennzoil 10w30(again with excellent results) and I'm certain that Pennzoil has a SAE30 oil. Any advice that will help me keep this Kawasaki engine "like new" for the next decade or so?????

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Should be a detergent oil, if you look on your dipstick it will tell what viscosity to use.
I use 10w30 Mobil 5000 in my Kawasaki and Kohlor and never had any problems with any using oil..

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Should be a detergent oil, if you look on your dipstick it will tell what viscosity to use.
I use 10w30 Mobil 5000 in my Kawasaki and Kohlor and never had any problems with any using oil..
Ric,
That sounds like very good advice, thanks!! I was leaning towards getting the K-Tech(Kawasaki brand oil) if the dealer carries it, using the SAE30 for the initial break-in oil change at 8-10 hours(Kaw manual says 8 hours, the Gravely manual says 25 hours and the dealer mechanic recommended 10 hours) with a filter change(just to be safe in case of any break-in metal shavings). Then to err on the side of caution I was going to do another oil-only change at 25 hours per the Gravely recommendation using SAE30, and then at 50 hours using the K-Tech 10w30 synthetic with a filter change. After that I would go to a annual oil change/every other year filter change. I believe that even though the Kaw engine manual recommends 100 hour oil changes that oil changes it should at least be annually(to start each season) despite the hours(unless you exceed 100 hours in a season which most consumers won't unless they have a very large area to mow).
Just for grins, how do you feel about me using the Briggs & Stratton SAE30 for the first two oil changes??? I didn't realize it, but I "stocked up" when it was on sale and I have (4) 48 ounce bottles of it that I bought for the Craftsman 54" B & S engine. I have "jokingly" said that the Kawasaki might reject it like a bad liver transplant, but after all it probably is a good quality SAE30 because after 6 years of using it, the Craftsman still didn't show any oil loss/consumption. I will probably give my son enough B & S oil to change the Craftsman next spring, but I would still have enough to change my Kaw twice, then change to the K-Tech 10w30 synthetic. Worst case I'll just give all of the B & S oil to my son. Watcha think about using the B & S SAE30 in my brand new Kawasaki????

chance123

Threads
In my clients equipment, I have been using Castro 20-50 for years. I get it in a 55 gal drum with a pump. On my personal car/truck/motorcycle/etc, I have been using Shaeffers oil. It is unbelievable. a great product and I don't work for them either. Before I switched 5 years ago, I ran ATF oil in my vehicles for 5 minutes to clean the engine. ATF is an extremely high detergent oil that REALLY cleans the inside of an engine. Shaeffer recommends changing oil every 10 to 15000 miles. It only costs a "little" more, but so worth it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric,
That sounds like very good advice, thanks!! I was leaning towards getting the K-Tech(Kawasaki brand oil) if the dealer carries it, using the SAE30 for the initial break-in oil change at 8-10 hours(Kaw manual says 8 hours, the Gravely manual says 25 hours and the dealer mechanic recommended 10 hours) with a filter change(just to be safe in case of any break-in metal shavings). Then to err on the side of caution I was going to do another oil-only change at 25 hours per the Gravely recommendation using SAE30, and then at 50 hours using the K-Tech 10w30 synthetic with a filter change. After that I would go to a annual oil change/every other year filter change. I believe that even though the Kaw engine manual recommends 100 hour oil changes that oil changes it should at least be annually(to start each season) despite the hours(unless you exceed 100 hours in a season which most consumers won't unless they have a very large area to mow).
Just for grins, how do you feel about me using the Briggs & Stratton SAE30 for the first two oil changes??? I didn't realize it, but I "stocked up" when it was on sale and I have (4) 48 ounce bottles of it that I bought for the Craftsman 54" B & S engine. I have "jokingly" said that the Kawasaki might reject it like a bad liver transplant, but after all it probably is a good quality SAE30 because after 6 years of using it, the Craftsman still didn't show any oil loss/consumption. I will probably give my son enough B & S oil to change the Craftsman next spring, but I would still have enough to change my Kaw twice, then change to the K-Tech 10w30 synthetic. Worst case I'll just give all of the B & S oil to my son. Watcha think about using the B & S SAE30 in my brand new Kawasaki????

As long as you use a good petroleum based detergent oil for the first 50 hours so the rings seat you should be alright. I purchased the Toro Grandstand with the Kawasaki 15hp in July and changed at 8hrs again at 30hrs and the last change was at 80hrs all with filters, the next will be at 130 and it will be changed every 50hrs in the future. As far as the synthetic goes, personally I think it's overkill and a waste of money if you change your oil the way you use the mower, ( frequently.)
As far as the B&S oil goes if it's something you have been using, you like it and it's worked for you and have faith in it go for it. If I were you what ever brand and viscosity oil you start with I'd stay with, I wouldn't change to a synthetic or a different brand oil. JMO

mmoffitt

Threads
I just purchased a Gravely Pro-Turn 152 XDZ mower with a commercial Kawasaki FX691V 22hp engine. I have always had Briggs & Stratton mower engines and used the SAE30 B & S oil with very good results(never had any oil leaks or consumption). A buddy of mine with a six year old Gravley 260 with the commercial FH721V 25hp Kaw engine says he ran Mobil1 10w30(non-synthetic) for the first year, then switched to Mobil1 10w30 synthetic(upon the Gravely dealer's advice). The manual on my Kaw engine states:"Using multi-grade oils(5w20,10w30 and 10w40) will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more frequently when using them." so I am again inclined to use the SAE30, but not real sure. For my truck and cars I have ALWAYS run Pennzoil 10w30(again with excellent results) and I'm certain that Pennzoil has a SAE30 oil. Any advice that will help me keep this Kawasaki engine "like new" for the next decade or so?????
Well it's almost a decade how's that mower treating you? Any way OIL ..not that I can't think for myself..my girl does that for me....but i can read, at least a wee bit..read and heed what the manufacturer specifies and make a adjustments.. "Harsh service" or factors such as that...and be sure to check your oil every time you use that piece of equipment and give it a good look over... Remember ANY OIL IS BETTER THAN NO OIL! i'll check back with you in a couple more years.. be safe and thank you

Wrenchit

Threads
Kawasaki and Kohler oils both have Zinc in them. A lubricant not effected by the heat that these air cooled engines produce.. Not available at automotive parts stores. Zinc infused oils will poison catalytic converters, so I think that's why they don't sell Zink infused oils. Kawasaki and Kohler oil are made by the same process so basically the same. That's the oil I use in my shop in "ALL" 4 stoke lawnmowers that come in for repairs. 30 WT for L-head (flat head) and 10w30 for overhead valve unless it says different. Learned about the Zink in Kawasaki Engine school. But as was posted above, ANY OIL is better then none.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been running Shell Rotella T-4 (15w-40 ) in my Kawasaki, & Briggs Flathead. I have never had to add any oil thru the season.

This oil has the JASO approved rating on back of the jug. And it has 1,200 ppm of zinc. Among other great additives for solid lifter engines.

cruzenmike

Threads
Kawasaki offers an entire lineup of oils for their small air cooled engines.

Pick whichever one fits your application. Most genuine tune up kits include the 10w-40 but if you can fit within the operating temperatures listed, SAE30 is the best oil you can use based on minimal oil loss. Again, it all depends on your operating temperatures. Also. If you check your oil before each use, as you should, you will be able to spot any oil contamination issues throughout the season and adjust viscocity and oil change frequencies as appropriate.

Krazy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well i have been using the best Amsoil in my pickup and mowers, for the last 40 years.never had any problems always looks nutty brown not black like other oils, when i check it. change it once a year.and never put any additives or helpers in the oil,and never use starting fluid,i know there is a lot of guys out there that don't believe in a synthetic oil,but its better for the motor. when it get super hot it wont break down.AMSOIL.COM check it out,it will not hurt your motor,they also sell a twin oil filter housing and a plate for the motor and hose,on their site there might be a dealer in your area that sells Amsoil.give them a call