Best oil? High zinc?

edporch

Threads
I am saying very few automobiles have roller lifters. My 2018 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost (twin turbo) does not. My 2016 9000 RPM Yamaha FJR1300 does not. My 2007 Prius did not. The valve springs are much stiffer than any power equipment engine I have seen. And while the Yamaha does over 4000 RPM quite regularly the F-150 rarely goes that high but will when pressed. The Yamaha has 85,000 miles, no valve adjustment, but I've checked. The Prius would rev to 4000 in certain situations.

One source claims the EPA phosphorous limit (which limits ZDDP, which is where zinc is found) only applies to 30 weight and lower motor oils. That 10W-40 or 15W-50 is only limited to 1200 PPM beyond which the phosphorous turns acidic.

Am also saying if power equipment engines really needed "zinc" to protect camshafts and tappet lifters, then the manufacturers are negligent in not using roller lifters.
Yamaha FJR 1300, great bike!
I have a 2008 FJR I bought new in 2008.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I remember Dupont suing over the use of their trademark Teflon™ while not purchasing from Dupont. Dupont refused to sell Teflon™ to Slick50 because Dupont engineers believed it hurt more than helped. Teflon™ breaks down in the combustion chamber. One of the components is HF, hydrofluoric acid, which is pretty strong stuff.
Yeah.
A let us not forget the STP commercials of Mario and a screwdriver.
STP. Snakeoil Turns Profits

We 'muricans just love to pour some magic juice into our engine. To bad the oil company PHD chemists aren't that smart to come up with magic juice.

BudTugley

Forum Newbie
Threads
When people say high zinc, that's a shortcut for saying high ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate).

As I understand it:
- ZDDP raises the thermal conductivity of the oil allowing it to carry more heat. This is more important for aircooled engines because the oil is the coolant that carries the heat to help it get out to the cooling fins.
- ZDDP creates a film on metal parts that helps them slide against each other with reduced wear.
- ZDDP also creates a film on the platinum in catalytic converters which causes them to prematurely fail.

- Lawnmower engines don't have catalytic converters, so high zddp causes no problems.

Around 2010 automotive oils were mandated to have zinc reduced to 800ppm. Prior to that 1500ppm was normal. Air cooled engine oil is essentially what normal automotive oil used to be. If oil has an API rating beyond SL then the zinc has been reduced.

Putting automotive oil in your aircooled engine is much better than low oil or no oil, and I don't think anyone is saying your aircooled engine will blow up if you use automotive oil. But aircooled engine oil should allow it to run cooler with less wear and have a longer life.

BudTugley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kawasaki offers a broad range of viscosities in their K-Tech high zinc engine oils, including a fully synthetic 15w50.

churchill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a wide variety of "yard" equipment and have grown tired of having a certain oil for each piece. I now run Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic in everything including the snowblower. I can buy it online at Costco.com for a little over $33 for a 6 qt case when they offer a $10 off coupon and free shipping. Otherwise it's $43/case without the coupon. Been watching and listening to each engine as I use it and all are happy. I have a 23hp Kawasaki in a zero turn mower, 3 Honda engines in my snowblower, chipper, and pressure washer; and, a another Honda 2000 generator. Just one type for all makes it easy and I run Mobil 1 in our vehicles too.

GearHead36

Threads
Am also saying if power equipment engines really needed "zinc" to protect camshafts and tappet lifters, then the manufacturers are negligent in not using roller lifters.
Well... Briggs DOES say that, to keep your warranty valid, you must use their oil, which has high zinc content.

DinosaurMike

Threads
My Husqvarna parts department said that Kawasaki recommends (in 2023) their 10W-30 synthetic blend that has zinc for the FR series V-twin in my YT42LS tractor. I believe that it was less than $5 per quart when I bought it at the dealer in 2023.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Husqvarna parts department said that Kawasaki recommends (in 2023) their 10W-30 synthetic blend that has zinc for the FR series V-twin in my YT42LS tractor. I believe that it was less than $5 per quart when I bought it at the dealer in 2023.
I'm down in deep South so my Dealer recommends 20-50 semi K-Tech..