Best for hills?

johnboy647

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm going to buy a new mower. I am trying to decide between a zero turn and a lawn tractor. I have a few pretty steep slopes, I will add pictures because I don't know what the angle is. I am trying to decide between z330m and x350. I will probably be mowing these slopes side to side, as opposed to up and down, or would maybe cutting up at a angle would be better. I've always cut it with a push mower and string trimmer. I'm getting to old for that now. I know I'll still have some weed eating to do. I want the mower that will get the most of this done and being safe. Any advice would help.
I would highly recommend the X350. I do some mowing with it on a pretty steep ditch in my yard without any problems. I have a 42 inch deck. I have a little over 900 hours on mine and have had absolutely no problems. The X350 is a very good machine.

Pdgreene77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not seen anyone mention a concern that the JD x350 has the weaker Tuff Torq K46 transmission like their previous x300 model. Is this true? K46 hydro transmissions have been reported to NOT be reliable for up-hill cutting. Reports say early-life failure. I second the suggestion of buying an tractor with diff lock ie x500 series. I too mow hills, and use a JD x530.

johnboy647

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with your comments on the K46 transmission. If the X350 has a weakness it is with the K46 transmission-and the hood design and durability. As stated I have over 900 hours thus far on my X350 and have had no transmission or engine or any other problems. I don't do that much mowing on hills or steep grades other than the ditch that borders one side of my yard-so maybe it would be wise to look at a four wheel drive model for hill mowing.

SHB

Threads
I mow about 10 acres that contains some significant slopes. Started with a lawn tractor (it was a craftsman), never had an issue, but the high CG definitely caused a pucker factor that limited the slopes I was comfortable to attack. Next was a 60” badboy ZTR with lugged tires, much better, the lower CG definitely felt better, was able to greatly expand the area I mowed, however damp soil conditions could result in a loss of traction and thus control. Mowing downhill was definitely more controllable on the steeper areas when the soil was damp. Current mower is a 60” eXmark radius with lugged tires, don’t have dimensions, but the tires are larger than the badboy. The eXmark is by far the “stickiest“ mower I have tried so far when it comes to slopes. I dont know if it’s the larger tires or weight distribution, but it just feels more solid on slopes, and I have had others tell me the same. It also has a roll bar, which I use when pushing the envelop on slope.

Gord Baker

Threads
I will be mowing from side to side. I'm not as worried about sliding as I am about tipping over sideways. I'm also not worried about tearing up the grass. I was thinking that maybe the zero turn would be wider and have a lower center of gravity, making it less likely to tip over. Am I wrong?
If you are at all uneasy about mowing the slope, keep off it. Zero Turn mowers are NOT good at traversing slopes. Plant ground cover.

rswapp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm going to buy a new mower. I am trying to decide between a zero turn and a lawn tractor. I have a few pretty steep slopes, I will add pictures because I don't know what the angle is. I am trying to decide between z330m and x350. I will probably be mowing these slopes side to side, as opposed to up and down, or would maybe cutting up at a angle would be better. I've always cut it with a push mower and string trimmer. I'm getting to old for that now. I know I'll still have some weed eating to do. I want the mower that will get the most of this done and being safe. Any advice would help.
I wouldn't recommend either for slope mowing with turf tires and definitely not a lawn tractor unless you like riding side saddle.
I have a Ferris IS3000z and found it near impossible to mow slopes in line until I replaced the turf tires with a much grippier mud tire. Granted they do tend to tear the turf on turns but if you are careful they work just fine and don't cause damage to turf. I notice much more lateral grip than when using turf tires when slope mowing.

lemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in Norway, and have my property is also very uneven to name it soft.
Had a sit on top mower for some years, but purchased this last sommer:
CLICK

Of course this is a Norwegian shop, but you can find them on aliexpress etc.

RevB

Threads
First....across the slope is much harder and more dangerous. Straight up, straight down. My Bad Boy Would handle some pretty nasty slopes. Even with that I got tired of fighting the ZTR....had a Craftsman rider with an 18 horse single. Much easier to maneuver but had to put an electric fuel pump on it because the vacuum pump was way too weak. Used the ZTR to mow our runway at another property.

Even at the recommended slope some lawn tractors will uncover their fuel pickup. Depending on the tank they may need to be modified with a swing/swivel pick up.

Lastly....a zero turn works well in most cases except after a heavy rain on a slope next to a defined edge like a lake shore. You'll be forced to wait til much less slick or leave a healthy edge in order to maneuver safely.

Last edited:

Freddie21

Threads
I agree with GearHead. I have a long sloped are and used to use a large Deere garden tractor. After falling off twice, I purchased a used CC Commercial with the steering wheel and a 60" deck. Even though I am more comfortable going up\down it does great riding the hill. The fact that the front wheels are not just casters and are held in place with the steering, it keeps the mower tracking straight. Toro also makes a ZT with the steering wheel. I have the 42" model of it and it also does well.