Bench Grinder Wheel Replacement

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And with any grinder you should always safety glasses.

Now those grinding wheel I posted about are very high grade versions. McMaster-Carr isn't el cheapo supplier as they are an industrial supplier. I use their product weekly in my shop. As for the grinding I use the 6 inch versions and have worn nearly a inch off the diameter before I have to replace them.

I don't many tool items like drill bits or reamer due them lasting so long but buy a lot the hardware item. Much better priced than the local hardware stores and also most of the metric items I need. I currently on the list to buy some 5/16 push rings where Husqvarna is want over $3 a piece for and I be ordering 100 for $12. Once I get them I will stop reusing the old ones. Yes 100 each is a lot of them but I can divide among some fellow techs locally.
This was a 24" x 4" monster in the railway workshop
A house brick sized bit hit the floor then the back wall then his head .
Another chunk flew down and near ripped his right leg off .
Apparently some one in the stores section had been swapping the good gear for cheap wheels from Argentina then flogging the good wheels off at field days to farmers .
So from then on my grinding wheels , apart from the one with the drill sharpener on it are all pedestal mounted and outside with nothing behind them
Now yes before you ask I have sent a few items into low earth orbit , but I have a lot of grinders and each one has an adjustable steady / rest on the front that is bolted to the grinder and not the wheel guard like on cheap grinders .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just as long you don't send them into inner space you should be fairly safe. Using any shop equipment can be dangerous. I still haven't found the lens out a pair of my glasses. I lost it when something I was pressing a part blew apart with a chuck hitting me in the face. Luckily it was only a hit in the safety glasses at the time. But glad I has a spare pair as I got to them to see clearly.

platefire

Threads
I went by Harbor Freight yesterday and looked at the Bauer 4 1/2" Grinder for $10.00. First thing I tried
a 4 1/2" disk on it but I couldn't because the guard seemed to small to get in position to screw the disk on.
I showed this to the HF salesman and he tried too but couldn't. We tried a 4" and it would install without
any problem but it wasn't the type disk for steel/Lawn mower blade. I did look for a 4" disk in the right grit
range for steel but couldn't find one. So I just blew it off and decided to wait.

I'll keep looking and get one when things look right, Mean time I still have my bench grinder with old grinding
wheel to get by in a pinch:>)

SARG

Threads
Well ..... I took my own advice and bought "another" grinder from HF for the sale price of 9.99 ... because they had a coupon for 30% off any item under 10 dollars .... so 6.99 for another seemed a good plan ......... that makes two still in the box to back up the other six.

platefire

Threads
A grinder for the price of a Big Mac, not bad!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
My grinder is better than yours. :D

platefire

Threads
Hello, as OP I picked up a Bauer 4.5"/7 Amp/11000 RPM Angle Grinder and a 1/4" thick 40 Grit Hercules Grinder Wheel today a Harbor Freight. So I been reading the manual and watching some you tube videos
on how to properly use it. According to several of the videos, the Flap Disk grinder wheel is better for Lawn
mower blades. Also some info on balancing blades which I never done before but may now start. My Husqvarna's blades has a star type mounting hole, so it might be hard to find the actual center without
it being a regular round hole?? So I was thinking of starting off with ole nail in the wall approach and go from
there:>)

Last edited: