Bench Grinder Wheel Replacement

platefire

Threads
I have been sharpening my lawn mower blades on an old bench grinder I inherited from my Father in Law
for about the last 30 years. I put a new grinder wheel on it when I first got it but now I need a new grinder wheel. The old markings are wore off so I can't read the details type and size.

From searching on the net I've read for lawn mower blades needs to be 36 to 40 Grit? I think the original measurement was 4" Dia, 1/2" thick and 1/2" arbor. A new one could go as high as 4 1/2" Dia and 3/4" thick.

I'm having a hard time locating one this particular size, so if any of you have a source, please let me know. I've given up on looking in hardware stores including Stine's, Lowes, Harbor Fright and so on. I think it would have to come from "on line" purchase. Thanks, Platefire

I've just about decided I need to buy a hand grinder, put the blade in a vice and sharpen it that way! and maybe retire the old bench grinder. What ya think?

Last edited:

SARG

Threads
"I've just about decided I need to buy a hand grinder, put the blade in a vice and sharpen it that way! and maybe retire the old bench grinder. What ya think?"

I agree 100% .... When in HF ... buy their cheap 4 1/2 angle grinder & some 60 grit flap discs. You'll be very happy for the change and be amazed at how effective the new technique is.

platefire

Threads
StarTech, who is the source for those grinder wheels?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Having seen the sort of damage a collapsing grinding wheel can do the the man using it ( he died eventually ) they are one item that I never buy cheap
So I get them from an engineering supply company and only ever use brand names I am familiar with .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And with any grinder you should always safety glasses.

Now those grinding wheel I posted about are very high grade versions. McMaster-Carr isn't el cheapo supplier as they are an industrial supplier. I use their product weekly in my shop. As for the grinding I use the 6 inch versions and have worn nearly a inch off the diameter before I have to replace them.

I don't many tool items like drill bits or reamer due them lasting so long but buy a lot the hardware item. Much better priced than the local hardware stores and also most of the metric items I need. I currently on the list to buy some 5/16 push rings where Husqvarna is want over $3 a piece for and I be ordering 100 for $12. Once I get them I will stop reusing the old ones. Yes 100 each is a lot of them but I can divide among some fellow techs locally.