battery and the seat safety feature

BriggsMST

Threads
yep...... thats about the size of it. And I have done that, Its like my silent dig, dont have too say, see I told ya

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back when we didn't have electric PTO clufches and lower output alternators you could get away with jumping and running but not today.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should have thought of that
I do keep a few common dead parts on hand to explain to customers HOW they killed their mower.
The one that always has heir eyes popping is the briggs crankcase with the top cut cut off & oil slinger glued into place so they can see just how little slope compromises the oil supply .
Got a couple of latter ones to show when the pick up screen for the pump is pumping air but not gotten around to sorting it out .
Keep a couple of worn out pulleys to show belt running on the root of the V and a vari drive pully to show whay a std B section belt is not a good idea
But I have always tossed away burned up stators

BriggsMST

Threads
I always show the old parts, 9 times out of 10 the customer dont even know what they are looking at. Belts is a no brainer for people, But in most cases they have that deer in the headlights look while I explain the function of the part and why it failed. The best customers are the ones that say fix it what ever it needs just fix it. I wish they were all like that. Im sure everyone of you will agree with me.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When the ask what was wrong and i am in a mood i say " Do you want the War and Peace version or the Reader's Digest version?" Nobody has asked for the long version and " I fixed it" usually suffices.

BriggsMST

Threads
its even better when someone tells you how to do it, my reply is well then why did you bring it here, fix it yourself. I dont have to be in a mood at all, but that sets me right off. 0 to a**hole in .002 sec

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I cant stress enough to my customers about jumping a mower from a car. I dont know if people think I'm feeding them a line or what but Its explained thoroughly enough about that. I had one this year like that, The best is when they lie and say I didnt jump it with a car, some dont realize that im the guy that takes guy taking it apart and I will obviously see what happened. All a part of having your own business I guess
Oh really? Care to explain what the problem with that is? I thought 12 volts was 12 volts. I recently recommended that someone who I suspected had a bad mower battery jump from their vehicle battery directly to their mower battery cables using jumper cables, eliminating their mower battery. Should I go find and delete that post?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Oh really? Care to explain what the problem with that is? I thought 12 volts was 12 volts. I recently recommended that someone who I suspected had a bad mower battery jump from their vehicle battery directly to their mower battery cables using jumper cables, eliminating their mower battery. Should I go find and delete that post?
Someone please correct me if 'm wrong, I think it's mostly applied to mowers with an electric PTO clutch, dead battery, jump it off, stator tries to charge dead battery while the battery is trying to supply power to the PTO clutch = toasted stator.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Someone please correct me if 'm wrong, I think it's mostly applied to mowers with an electric PTO clutch, dead battery, jump it off, stator tries to charge dead battery while the battery is trying to supply power to the PTO clutch = toasted stator.
Thanks. Sounds like what I recommended wouldn't be an issue then.