battery and the seat safety feature

2ball

Threads
I bought a brand new battery, started my riding lawnmower 1 time. When I am putting it away, I use the fuel shutoff I put in, and let the engine run out of gas. I get side tracked and never turn the key off of run.
the engine counter put 100 hours on it.

I tried to start it today and got nothing. I jumped started it and ran it for 30 minutes, but it didn't charge enough to restart the engine.

How long do I need to run the tractor for the battery to get fully charged?
can I charge the battery by hooking jumper cables up to a car battery and leave it there for a couple hours?
how many volts should the battery be getting when the engine is running?
could I have ruined the battery?

unrelated.
I can start the tractor when I am not sitting in the seat, but if its running and I get off the seat it shuts off? is that right?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the battery has been run dead flat from a tiny draw item like the fuel solenoid or the hour meter it can take a very long time before the battery will take any chgarge .
Automatic chargers will not recharge a battery that is totally flat
Some times old manual ones will, the ones with selectable voltage & charge rates that use actual switches.
So your new battery may have sparked its last.I have had some siting on the charger for better than a week before they start to take a charge.

As for the mower, yes that is how the safety circuits are supposed to work .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert is right. Mower batteries don't like to be totally discharged. If it comes back to half capacity i would be suprised. Jumping a dead battery to start mower then pulling full amps for a long period is not good for the stator or voltage regulator. If the battery is deep discharged should put it on a charger for a few hours before jump starting the mower.

2ball

Threads
I took the battery out, meter said 9 volts, I put it on a charger for a couple of hours and the volts read 12.4.
I let the battery set (no charger) A day later the volts read 12.1

I can test the alternator just like a car battery? I should be getting above 12 volts with it running?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Most auto part stores test batteries for free., you should get at least 13 volts or higher while running.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I took the battery out, meter said 9 volts, I put it on a charger for a couple of hours and the volts read 12.4.
I let the battery set (no charger) A day later the volts read 12.1

I can test the alternator just like a car battery? I should be getting above 12 volts with it running?

Depends which particular alternator you have.
If it has a rectifier then just the same as a car except you also need to check the DC recharge wire to ground for AC Voltage signaling a rectifier failure
If you have the older diode system then you need to test is for forward & backward continuity

BriggsMST

Threads
Just an FYI as well, The charging system is designed to maintain the charge in the battery, its not made too charge the battery. Especially if its 9 volts like you said. Any battery thats below 12.25 could come back to life with a slow charge kind of wakes it up so to speak. trying to charge a dead battery will lead to bigger electrical problems. Just throwing that out there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny you should bring this one back to life.
Before I get too crook to work I did a house call to a EZ 225 that would not crank
Ground cable nut had fallen off & the ground wire was just touching the bolt .
Replaced the missing nut which of course was an 8 x 1.25 metric as is every other nut & bolt on the mower, and people wonder why I love these JD EZ's
Any way , none to surprising the rectifier was toast so the customer was told to charge the battery fully and only mow for 3 hours max then recharge the battery as she will be mowing total loss .
I had just waited 5 weeks for a Stens rectifier & Stator as they were out of stock because B & S was unable to supply & my other wholesaler sells genuine B & S rectifiers and neither of them had any more left .

Naturally she did this a couple of times then No 1 son jump started the mower from his car then mowed till the PTO died
Now needs a new stator , ( quoted 3 weeks ) rectifier ( which I have ) PTO clutch & Fuse box which melted .
Fuse box is $ 45 , without terminals and the terminals will be 3 weeks because nill stock in Aust ,

BriggsMST

Threads
I cant stress enough to my customers about jumping a mower from a car. I dont know if people think I'm feeding them a line or what but Its explained thoroughly enough about that. I had one this year like that, The best is when they lie and say I didnt jump it with a car, some dont realize that im the guy that takes guy taking it apart and I will obviously see what happened. All a part of having your own business I guess

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I cant stress enough to my customers about jumping a mower from a car. I dont know if people think I'm feeding them a line or what but Its explained thoroughly enough about that. I had one this year like that, The best is when they lie and say I didnt jump it with a car, some dont realize that im the guy that takes guy taking it apart and I will obviously see what happened. All a part of having your own business I guess
You hand them a fried stator and regulator?