Bad Boy Rouge grass strips from wheels

greenmountain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello there. I recently bought a 2021 Rogue w/ 61”deck and am having EXACTLY the same issues you speak of. Tire pressure , deck pitch and height are appropriate —-and what you describe is happening to me also. Yet my pals run the pro husky’s w/60” decks so we run together and they cut wet, tall grass almost perfectly at high speed. My rogue cuts better when dry but when wet and tall (8-12”) it leaves these mini Mohawks. They are not bad but very noticeable. I have 9 acres of pasture I cut , plus my clients properties. My pals think it’s just a simple blade change issue and there’s not enough vacuum created. We are here in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia.

Please let me know which blades you try and how they work.

My intention is to contact my dealer tomorrow and see what they suggest I will post their suggestions and results thereafter.

greenmountain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello there. I recently bought a 2021 Rogue w/ 61”deck and am having EXACTLY the same issues you speak of. Tire pressure , deck pitch and height are appropriate —-and what you describe is happening to me also. Yet my pals run the pro husky’s w/60” decks so we run together and they cut wet, tall grass almost perfectly at high speed. My rogue cuts better when dry but when wet and tall (8-12”) it leaves these mini Mohawks. They are not bad but very noticeable. I have 9 acres of pasture I cut , plus my clients properties. My pals think it’s just a simple blade change issue and there’s not enough vacuum created. We are here in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia.

My intention is to contact my dealer tomorrow and see what they suggest I will post their suggestions and results thereafter.
And just to be clear, I sharpen my blades religiously every week to make sure that they are appropriately sharpened

greenmountain

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will add that I absolutely love this machine (the Rogue) as it is truly amazing the terrain it can handle and it’s overall build and stance. Super impressive. Just need to nail down this cut quality issue.
My only other complaint is how stiff the control bars are. It takes a LOT of strength to push these levers for hours and hours compared to the huskies.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads

You could try some Scag blades. They have a little longer lift wing.

BigBlueEdge

Threads
I bought a set of Stens 315-499 Hi-Lift blades. Sharpened them up and installed them. Coincidentally, that happened at the same time as the dealer installed the new adjustable caster arms that Bad Boy sent me. Then it sat a few weeks because we have been VERY dry here in MN. But we finally got some rain and now I've had the chance to mow twice since the changes.

It's a mixed bag as far as improvements. The grass strip on the left side (as you're sitting in the seat) seems to be gone. But the right side is still there. I've tried both adjustment positions on the new arms. Basically the same effect.

It's really not a horrible cut. But I can see the strip in every pass and I don't like it. At this point I'm not expecting that there is anything for me to do besides either accept it the way it is or sell it and go back to my Deere x758. I love the Rogue for every other aspect, except perhaps the way the aggressive tires churn up the grass on turns, so I really don't want to part with it, especially to take a loss on it. I do love the fact that I've cut almost 1/3 off the mowing time though.

I may alter the new caster arm on the right and see if I can move the wheel to a better position further from the line of the right blade spindle. Obviously it helped on one side. We'll see.

As commentary, I just can't see how this is an issue. I've run many garden tractors over the same type of MN grasses for decades. And never has a unit had a constant problem like this with grass not standing back up after the front wheels knock it down. Never. The Rogue should be better in pretty much every way - blade tip speed, lift, weight - so it should do better.

Rob

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a Bad Boy Rogue this spring and have used it to mow my 7 acres multiple times now. I'm experiencing a persistent problem with it that is maddening and I cannot find a resolution to it. The front wheels knock the grass down and it doesn't spring back fast enough to get mowed so everywhere I go I have two 5" strips of grass sticking up. I've tried going slower and going faster and it doesn't seem to help. My dealer did some adjustments to the deck height & leveling and also made sure the belt tension was correct but that didn't change anything. I've been mowing at about 3.5 - 3.75" cut height, but I did try mowing lower and that didn't seem to help either... it just made scalping and 'cutouts' worse when the mower goes over bumps and ruts in the lawn. Also, this happens when the lawn is somewhat wet (mowing in the evening after a rain in the morning) and when it is dry.

As consistent as this is for me this must be a common problem for others who mow in the northern states and have similar grass types to mine. Would some type of high-lift blades help by pulling the grass up better?

Thanks,
Rob
Mow slower