Bad boy revolt not charging

Ebtate8

Threads
I have a bad boy revolt with a Kawasaki FX850V. I changed the battery after it died a couple of weeks ago. The new battery died soon after changing. I found the voltage regulator was bad. I changed the regulator and jumped off the battery to get the mower started. Voltage between the regulator and the battery is now showing 8V while running. There was no voltage before. Is the new regulator bad? What else could be the problem? I was hoping that running the mower with the new voltage regulator would charge the battery back to 12V but it’s not going to get there with only 8V being supplied. Any ideas?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does that reg require a ground to make it work? With that voltage drop, you have a bad ground or faulty hot wire some place. Post reg should be 13'ish+ volts.

Ebtate8

Threads
Does that reg require a ground to make it work? With that voltage drop, you have a bad ground or faulty hot wire some place. Post reg should be 13'ish+ volts.
It is grounded to the same screw that mounts the regulator to the metal cover. This was the ground location from the factory.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is grounded to the same screw that mounts the regulator to the metal cover. This was the ground location from the factory.
Multimeter on Ohms. Go from - batt post to reg ground screw. What do you get?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may have fried the stator.
You should have approx 28 volts AC @ 3000rpm across the two stator wires going to the regulator. Unplug and check the stator output.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
With engine running and battery connected what is the voltage from ground to output tab on regulator? Is it the same as ground to battery positive?

Ebtate8

Threads
With engine running and battery connected what is the voltage from ground to output tab on regulator? Is it the same as ground to battery positive?
Yes. These are both 8v and does not change with a higher rpm.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
With a charged battery you should be getting approx 12v at the output tab on the regulator even with it not putting out charging voltage. How are you measuring the 8v?
Battery charged?

Ebtate8

Threads
Yes. These are both 8v and does not change
With a charged battery you should be getting approx 12v at the output tab on the regulator even with it not putting out charging voltage. How are you measuring the 8v?
Battery charged?
the battery is not fully charged. I’m jumping it off to start the mower.