B&S not starting (EBSXS.7242VA)

crabjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok.. Went and picked up a new vacuum hose. They didn't have the right one, so I took what they had, and it worked! Cranked the motor an gas flowed. Hooked the line back to the carb, cranked and it fired up.. Let it run for about 5 mins then went to mow...

engaged the bladed and mowed about 25 feet and it stalled. Restated and went to engage the blade, Engaging the blades makes it stall out. Not right away and it didn't make any difference if I was cutting grass or it was just sitting still.. Weirdest thing it would spin up the blades then the rpms would drop and if I didn't disengage the blades, would stall. I had to get the grass cut...

My plan was to engage then disengage to try and mow the law.. After about 20 mins of this I got to a spot where the grass was thick and tall. It stalled out. I cleared the grass out of the blade and restarted. This time the engine didn't stall. It kept the blades spinning.. The engine chocking on the thick grass somehow fixed the stalling when blades engaged problem. I don't know how, but it sure made my life easier.

Can anyone tell me what might have caused the engine to stall, at time when the blades were engage? The engine sounded like it was at full power and it was weird as can be.. At times it would cause the engine to rev up and down a few times before it would stall. A couple time when it did this, I heard a clank sound.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
sounds very much like your governor has slipped so when a load is put on the engine it does not allow the throttle to open further to give the engine more power.

crabjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
sounds very much like your governor has slipped so when a load is put on the engine it does not allow the throttle to open further to give the engine more power.

That might be it, but what I find was weird was the engine didn't bog down and stall like I was in thick grass.

You know how a motor's sound changes when you engage/disengage the blades. When it would die, even with the bladed engaged, the sound changed like the blades got disengaged, then the rpms dropped slowly, till it died.

It was just weird.. then it was weird when it fixed itself. I think I've got gremlins in this mower.