B&S not starting (EBSXS.7242VA)

PersonalJester

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there

Am trying to start my Alko mower without any luck.

The place where I bought it are closed due to pandemic, so cannot contact them for advice.

It uses a B&S EBSXS.7242VA. It turns over but no sign at all of firing.

I have tested/tried:
Fuel tank has fuel!
Plugs are clean
Plugs spark when turned over
Good supply of fuel to pipe into carb
Air filter new

I suspect no fuel through carb. Is there a way I can squirt some fuel directly into carb\engine to prove it?
Is there a float chamber on this engine? Maybe the float needle valve stuck?

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Engine plate.jpg
    Engine plate.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 3

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look on the valve cover for model, type and code numbers for this engine. The decal you posted is just an EPA sticker and doesn’t help much.

PersonalJester

Forum Newbie
Threads
You beat me to it!
Model: 40R777
Type: 0001B1
Code: 140715YG

Plate photo is attached.

Attachments

• Engine model plate.jpg
    Engine model plate.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 5

dougand3

Threads
Remove air filter and try a squirt of fuel directly into carb throat. ~ tbl spoon amount. If it pops and runs for 2-3 secs = fuel delivery/carb problem.

PersonalJester

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have confirmed what I thought I might be able to try, good to get confirmation that can be done.

I'll give it a go.

crabjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a problem with the same exact motor.

Mine seems to be a fuel delivery issue but might be compression. I originally tried sucking on the vacuum side of the fuel pump and nothing, so I just replaced it. I was able to suck some fuel into the filter. There were few cracks in the vacuum line so I used some electrical tape to try and seal the vacuum line.

When I crank the motor, the filter fills up slowly with fuel, but there the pump doesn't seem to be able to pull enough to get the fuel to flow out of the pump.

Anyone know what the part number is for the vacuum line? Can I jerry rig something to see if it's the vac line? I really need to get my lawn mowed.

I may have other issues too. I tried putting some starter fluid down the air intake and it wouldn't light. I also tried squirting a bit in each cylinder and still not.. Just cranks and won't light. I know it's getting spark, because that I checked.

BTW, anyone know what the compression of this engine should be? Can't test it yet, but I've got a tester on the way.

Thanks!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
596163 HOSE, Vacuum -Used Before Code Date 19091800
593641 HOSE, Vacuum -Used After Code Date 19091700

PersonalJester

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thought I would give an update on this problem.

I put a spoonful of petrol in the air intake. It fired, spluttered, but kept going. I expected it to stop after it had used up this small amount of fuel but it kept going.

It has worked fine ever since. I guess the petrol in the carb over the Winter evaporated, left some nasties behind. By injecting a little fuel and starting it blow the nasties out.

crabjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
596163 HOSE, Vacuum -Used Before Code Date 19091800
593641 HOSE, Vacuum -Used After Code Date 19091700

Where is this date date code? There's something called CODE:140801YG
I seems the actual model number on my engine is 44R877

The pic of part 596163 looks like the correct hose. My problem is I can't find a pic of 593641 to see if it's something similar but slight a different length.

Thank you

Last edited:

crabjoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thought I would give an update on this problem.

I put a spoonful of petrol in the air intake. It fired, spluttered, but kept going. I expected it to stop after it had used up this small amount of fuel but it kept going.

It has worked fine ever since. I guess the petrol in the carb over the Winter evaporated, left some nasties behind. By injecting a little fuel and starting it blow the nasties out.

Similar thing happened to me at the beginning of last year. When I went to start it, it just cranked. I squirted some starter fluid into the air intake then it fired and kept running.

I thought I had the same issue this year, but apparently, it's something different.