B&S 20hp (331777-2372-G5) runs wide open after you start it?

Bat57

Threads
  • / B&S 20hp (331777-2372-G5) runs wide open after you start it?
only way to know that is pull the sump off again and check it

but first i would check to see if the carb is flooding and that the main jet inside the plastic tube didnt fall out on you and get lost. if that jet falls out it will be dumping way too much gas in the engine. redoing the carb is a lot easier then pulling the sump
Thanks, carb is fine, cleaned and put back together jet is there. Butterflies working properly cant figure this out.

Bat57

Threads
You basically have done the test if you did the static adjustment correctly. So it does sounds like a bad governor.
Put new governor in and same problem, still running at almost full throttle and cant control with throttle lever.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
How are you doing the static governor adjustment?

Bat57

Threads
How are you doing the static governor adjustment?
Loosening the nut on the governor arm, holding arm in full throttle position then turning governor shaft clockwise until it touches governor then tightening the nut.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well that is the right way just making sure. I double checked two engines here that full throttle was full CW. Hmmm should be working-- Is governor arm even moving when the engine is running? Almost sound like the carburetor is on backwards but that would be a little hard to do or a missing throttle plate. just thinking out loud.

Bat57

Threads
Well that is the right way just making sure. I double checked two engines here that full throttle was full CW. Hmmm should be working-- Is governor arm even moving when the engine is running? Almost sound like the carburetor is on backwards but that would be a little hard to do or a missing throttle plate. just thinking out loud.
No problem, I appreciate the help, this thing is driving me crazy, I have went through the carb several times and it is working correctly. I have a B&S 21hp engine on my other mower and they are set up the same. Linkage and lever movements are the same and work the same. So I double checked all linkage on 20hp and it is right. I have done static adjustment on both old and new governor. Same result, runs wide open. Could an air leak between the carb and the head cause this kind of reaction?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Might be worthwhile to visually check the linkages as some throttles have both a push & pull hole in the butterfly.
so pull the throttle control on and note which way the governor arm moves .
It should be opening the throttle
With the throttle wide open, the only way the governor arm should be able to move is to close the butterfly.
I always try to ignore the CW or CCW directions because most engines can be set up for left or right hand controls and some butterflys pull open while others push open
Remember the governor works against the throttle control so as you throttle up the spring on the governor arm stretches

Bat57

Threads
Might be worthwhile to visually check the linkages as some throttles have both a push & pull hole in the butterfly.
so pull the throttle control on and note which way the governor arm moves .
It should be opening the throttle
With the throttle wide open, the only way the governor arm should be able to move is to close the butterfly.
I always try to ignore the CW or CCW directions because most engines can be set up for left or right hand controls and some butterflys pull open while others push open
Remember the governor works against the throttle control so as you throttle up the spring on the governor arm stretches
Thanks for the info. I have checked the linkage assembly and the holes in the butterfly levers on the carb. There are only two holes on the front butterfly that connects to the governor arm. One for control rod and one for the spring, and same on governor arm. I have a 21hp B&S engine from same 330000 series engine with same carb and linkage set up and I have checked using it as a reference and they are both set up the same way. The 21hp runs great with no issues so I actually took the governor rod & spring from it and no difference when I put it on the 20hp. I put new governor in and readjusted arm and still same thing. I loosened the governor arm and pushed it forward to full throttle then I turned the governor shaft up against the governor and tightened the governor arm back up. No change. I cant figure out what is causing this thing to run almost wide open when you start in up. The throttle control lever will speed it up a little but will not slow it down but a hair. Have even checked the throttle cable and you can see it move back and forth with no issues.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By front I do hope you mean closest to the engine which most would call rear

Luffydog

Threads
Can you move the governor rod to carb freely or it is hard to move. If it is stiff and won the move the carb linkage it is wrong. I have seen the governors make spiral like a bolt on the shaft they are on if so that part is made into the block and not replaceable and new a new motor. Check the linkage first and if not moving free you have it adjusted wrong and if it does move free then it is internal under the governor.