B&S 20hp (331777-2372-G5) runs wide open after you start it?

Bat57

Threads
  • / B&S 20hp (331777-2372-G5) runs wide open after you start it?
Have a B&S 20 HP engine that the compression release lever broke on. Cleaned everything out and put new camshaft in and everything back in exactly like suppose to be. New plug, new oil. Took carburetor apart and cleaned it all out and everything on it was good. Checked linkage and springs for carb, everything good and in the right place. Adjusted valves, they are good. Engine started fine but stays running at almost full throttle and cant be adjusted with the throttle control lever. Runs good just cant control engine speed. Cables and springs for all linkage is there and seems to works fine. Need some help. I cant figure this out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you done the static governor adjustment? Also you did put back the oil slinger/ governor assy?

Bat57

Threads
I put back the oil slinger/ governor assembly and lined it up with governor arm. I did the governor arm adjustment a little while ago and it still runs almost full throttle and cant idle down with throttle control. Don't know how to tell if the governor assembly is bad or not.

Bat57

Threads
Have you done the static governor adjustment? Also you did put back the oil slinger/ governor assy?
I put back the oil slinger/ governor assembly and lined it up with the governor arm, I did the governor arm adjustment a little while ago and it still runs almost full throttle and cant idle down with the throttle control. Don't know how to tell if the governor assembly is bad or not.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You basically have done the test if you did the static adjustment correctly. So it does sounds like a bad governor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As the others have mentioned.
The Governor GOVERNONS and just like the one in town hall, it SLOWS things down
So a racing engine will always be a governor problem
Do your static adjustment and remember when the throttle butterfly is fully open the governor rod has to move towards the closed position.
If not you have it backwards.
If a couple of static adjustments don't fix things then something is wrong inside the engine .
Most governors have some sort of cap on them and these have a bad habit of vanishing when the engine is apart ( gremlins ) or falling off when you are assembling the engine.
On some you can even install the lever upside down.
We have all done it, just some won't admit it .

Bat57

Threads
You basically have done the test if you did the static adjustment correctly. So it does sounds like a bad governor.
Thanks, I will replace the governor and see if that works.

Bat57

Threads
Do your static adjustment and remember when the throttle butterfly is fully open the governor rod has to move towards the closed position.
If a couple of static adjustments don't fix things then something is wrong inside the engine .
Most governors have some sort of cap on them and these have a bad habit of vanishing when the engine is apart ( gremlins ) or falling off when you are assembling the engine.
Thanks, I will recheck everything and then replace governor if nothing changes for the better.

keakar

Threads
I put back the oil slinger/ governor assembly and lined it up with governor arm. I did the governor arm adjustment a little while ago and it still runs almost full throttle and cant idle down with throttle control. Don't know how to tell if the governor assembly is bad or not.
only way to know that is pull the sump off again and check it

but first i would check to see if the carb is flooding and that the main jet inside the plastic tube didnt fall out on you and get lost. if that jet falls out it will be dumping way too much gas in the engine. redoing the carb is a lot easier then pulling the sump

Bat57

Threads
Thanks for your help. I have put a new camshaft, tappet, oil pump shaft, governor/ oil slinger assembly, checked the governor shaft, no play and once back together and once back together I checked carb butterflies and linkage, everything good. Checked adjustment on governor arm all good. Started engine and still running at almost full throttle with no throttle lever control to so it down but can increase speed a little with throttle.