Ariens jackshaft nut torque

mcmxi

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member, hoping to pick some brains.

My father-in-law was given an Ariens YT2548 tractor that needed some work. The guy that had it before beat the hell out of it.

Model #936036
Serial #000158.

After replacing the clutch, clutch anchor and some odds and ends, we fired it up to test it out. It kept throwing the belt, so after some investigation, I decided to change out the idler pulley assembly with all new parts. It was beyond wore out. However, it kept throwing the belt. So, back to the garage to troubleshoot. What I found was the jackshaft was destroyed. The bearings were all but gone and there was a pile of metal dust below the jackshaft on the plate, so I ordered all new parts from Jack's.

So, after all that rambling, I have a question. Is there a specific torque spec for the nut or just p.f.t.? I don't want premature bearing failure. Nobody likes anything premature...

Thanks,
Tim

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you buy the complete jack shaft assembly then there are no worries about over tightening as there is a spacer between the two bearings and a spacer top & bottom that ensures the pulley & blade bear down onto the inside race of the bearing.
Install the jack shaft first then the blade so you can hold the blade to prevent the shaft turning when you tighten up the nut on the pulley.
If there are packing pieces under either the blades or pulley make sure they are a close fit on the shaft so they sit on top of the centre race of the bearing and not the seal or outer race.
Some times they get a little chewed up and need to be flipped over.

The bottom bolt self tightens in use so no matter what torque you do it up to it will be a lot tighter when you come to get it off.
I use a rattle gun and run the spindle fastenerss all the way in on the blade side then when it stops another 1/2 dozen "clicks " on the gun.
For the top just run it down till it stops.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I don't agree with just tighten it. I would say it dose have a specific torque which is very important. I don't know the size bolt or nut you are tightening but you should be able to go to a torque chart with the size and it will tell you what the torque should be. Most service manuals or on line will have this chart.