Ariens carburetor leaking

tonyvisone

Threads
hey guys, new to the forum 2 minutes ago.

i got this snowblower from a family friend this summer who was about to bring it to the dump. i saw it in time and snagged it. i gave it a carb clean, a new belt, and some paint and it looks and runs great! only problem is that the carb is leaking gas. a few weeks ago it was a very slow leak, but this past weekend i ran it again and the gas was coming out pretty fast. i made this video to make describing this whole deal easier. i even narrated it a bit.
here the link
Ariens Snowblower :: 100_0805.mp4 video by tonyvisone - Photobucket

thanks in advance for any advice.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The needle valve is not seating on the rubber seat in the carb. Did you just clean it or did you install a repair kit when you had it apart. If you installed the kit maybe the rubber seat isn't sitting square and not sealing, or a piece of dirt is stuck to the seat. Also check your float height to make sure it is within spec. Also make sure the float doesn't have a hole and sinking if it is the brass float.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The needle valve is not seating on the rubber seat in the carb. Did you just clean it or did you install a repair kit when you had it apart. If you installed the kit maybe the rubber seat isn't sitting square and not sealing, or a piece of dirt is stuck to the seat. Also check your float height to make sure it is within spec. Also make sure the float doesn't have a hole and sinking if it is the brass float.

Ilengine said it all agree

tonyvisone

Threads

i agree, it must not be seating correctly. i just cleaned it. i took the bowl off and back on without pulling the carb off, so i probably didnt realize. next time i am at the camp (where the ariens is) ill check it. the float height should be fine, but how do i check that just in case?
thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the carb off remove the bowl and turn the carb upside down and you should be able to slide a 11/64 drill bit between the carb body and the float with the bowl gasket off. The float doesn't sit level on tecumseh. It will actually hang toward the carb when properly set.

tonyvisone

Threads
hey guys, i know its been a while but i havent been up to the lake in a while.... however im here 2day and 2moro....

i took off the carb and realized a few things....

the needle WAS in the seat
there is no rubber of that needle seal... im not sure if there is supposed to be one

i will make a video and post it later, as well as try the drill bit advice

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Install a new needle and seat. Just had the same job on a Ariens last week and that repaired my customers gas leak. The needle seat is usually white rubber. Also when installed make sure the numbers are up or the needle seat will be upside down. You can remove the old needle seat with a small wire and hook and install the new needle seat with a punch. When installing the new needle seat make sure it is well seated to the bottom of the bore or it will keep leaking like it is doing now. good luck Nick

tonyvisone

Threads
everything looked good to me needle and seat wise. im starting to think the float height could be off, however i dont know how that wouldve happend. i show it all in this video. i used the 11/64 drill bit as a float height gauge as ILENGINE said above.

heres the video. sorry its long, i was trying to be fast but it never works out as planned
Ariens Snowblower :: 024.mp4 video by tonyvisone - Photobucket

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You do what you want, but The needle seat may look good but that is your problem. It doesn't take very much to leak by. The only other thing it could be is a bad float. Maybe some knows something different then I do? Parts can't cost over 10 dollars.

tonyvisone

Threads
im not saying you are incorrect. you are right, its probably the needle/seat, and i can get a rebuild kit for 12 bucks, which i will do... but im just wondering what people thought about the float height because ILENGINE said an 11/64 drill bit should just fit by, but it had plently of clearance and if thats the problem, a rebuild wouldnt fix it.... HOWEVER i will just order a kit put it in and see what happens. i assume itll fix it. thanks for the advice! ill post how it goes, though it wont be for a week or so