Any mods or adjustments needed for install of cannister air filter?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Any mods or adjustments needed for install of cannister air filter?
If you read the post fully I said it not available in the USA and it is not my kit in the first place but is available in Australia as a kit from a Kawasaki dealer that took the time to put together the kits. It was posted so the OP would be able to order all the needed parts for the conversion. Yes they have to be order separately even if I put together the kit here.

But I am very thankful that they took the time to do it.

But since someone had to nit pick that a parts list I post was not a complete all in one PN then I removed it. Sorry to try to be helpful.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And since I am considered a Clown and a Fool I will take a good long break from this forum. Have fun guys as I got a heck of lot better things to do with my time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By posting the conversion kit, yes sir, I consider you part of the clown show. Also by false advertising your kit as "genuine Kawasaki heavy duty air filter conversion kit". The kit parts might be genuine, the part numbers might genuine, but there is no such kit from Kawasaki.
Actually the conversion kit is genuine made by Kawasaki and sold through my wholesaler RGS which is why I posted the link to their catelogue page.
RGS is Kawasaki's major distributor in Australia and they are genuine factory parts which is coded into the part numbers starting the KAW so techs like me can choose between genuine Kawasaki parts and their generic after market part which for an air filter would be AIR????
I posted a link to that page several years ago because people were confused by a pile of contradictory BS they saw all over the place posted by people who have no idea about what they are posting .
Star also kept a copy of the text from the page for his information it is 100 % genuine and 100% legal in any country other than the USA where it may or may not contravine the USA EPA Laws
It is backed by Kawasaki and covered by Kawasaki and is both covered by warranty which does not affect the engine warranty in Australia . Politically / leagally it may be different in the USA but mechanically the conversion is 100% sound, good propper and well worth the effort of doing .
There is only one reason why there is a FS,FR & FX version of the same engine and that is TICKET PRICE pure & simple .
Kawasaki would be more than happy to only make the FX version as the extra volume would probably drop the cost around 20% but the mower manufacturers want some thing to make the commercial version look different to the residential version in order to justify the higher ticket price of the commercial mower .
Ariens madea mess of the reintroduced Ariens/Gravely range as there is no obvious difference between the cheaper residential Orange Ariens & the exact same grey painted Gravely with a 20% higher ticket price.

To suggest hat there would be any differenece to the exhaust emissions between the 3 engines shows a gross lack of understanding of engine dynamics and combustion technology .
And to nit pick the Donaldson air filter has 3 times the surface area of the standard filter, it take a lot longer to become clogged which causes the engine to run rich & blow particulates out of the exhaust so in the long term is CLEANER that the filter used in the FS & FR .
Plus it filters finner than both of the others and seals better so ther is less dust in the air thus less wear on the rings & bore so it will remain EPA compliant for a lot longer
These are not NASCAR top fuelers they are mower engines running under 4000 rpm and governed .
When the USA used to manufacture rather than import and assemble there were cheaper ways to differentiate betwen the bottom line & top line of the same mower .
For residentials the cheap version got a Tecumseh the middle version got a Briggs & the top line got a Kohler and each one got an extra $ 500 added for the "better" engine .
commrcials came with a Briggs a the cheap option then Kohler then Honda .
This ended when Honda ceased supplying mower engines because they would not cheapen their engines to the price level that the mower companies would pay for.
Now days there is no maker of throw away engines so the mower factories have to go down a different path.
Kohler tried to do two versions of the same engine with the original Courage & Command engines but very quickly the number of different parts just became too much & the economy of scale was lost so they ended up only the raw casting being the same .

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads

txmowman

Threads
Actually the conversion kit is genuine made by Kawasaki and sold through my wholesaler RGS which is why I posted the link to their catelogue page.
RGS is Kawasaki's major distributor in Australia and they are genuine factory parts which is coded into the part numbers starting the KAW so techs like me can choose between genuine Kawasaki parts and their generic after market part which for an air filter would be AIR????
I posted a link to that page several years ago because people were confused by a pile of contradictory BS they saw all over the place posted by people who have no idea about what they are posting .
Star also kept a copy of the text from the page for his information it is 100 % genuine and 100% legal in any country other than the USA where it may or may not contravine the USA EPA Laws
It is backed by Kawasaki and covered by Kawasaki and is both covered by warranty which does not affect the engine warranty in Australia . Politically / leagally it may be different in the USA but mechanically the conversion is 100% sound, good propper and well worth the effort of doing .
There is only one reason why there is a FS,FR & FX version of the same engine and that is TICKET PRICE pure & simple .
Kawasaki would be more than happy to only make the FX version as the extra volume would probably drop the cost around 20% but the mower manufacturers want some thing to make the commercial version look different to the residential version in order to justify the higher ticket price of the commercial mower .
Ariens madea mess of the reintroduced Ariens/Gravely range as there is no obvious difference between the cheaper residential Orange Ariens & the exact same grey painted Gravely with a 20% higher ticket price.

To suggest hat there would be any differenece to the exhaust emissions between the 3 engines shows a gross lack of understanding of engine dynamics and combustion technology .
And to nit pick the Donaldson air filter has 3 times the surface area of the standard filter, it take a lot longer to become clogged which causes the engine to run rich & blow particulates out of the exhaust so in the long term is CLEANER that the filter used in the FS & FR .
Plus it filters finner than both of the others and seals better so ther is less dust in the air thus less wear on the rings & bore so it will remain EPA compliant for a lot longer
These are not NASCAR top fuelers they are mower engines running under 4000 rpm and governed .
When the USA used to manufacture rather than import and assemble there were cheaper ways to differentiate betwen the bottom line & top line of the same mower .
For residentials the cheap version got a Tecumseh the middle version got a Briggs & the top line got a Kohler and each one got an extra $ 500 added for the "better" engine .
This ended when Honda ceased supplying mower engines because they would not cheapen their engines to the price level that the mower companies would pay for.
Now days there is no maker of throw away engines so the mower factories have to go down a different path.
Kohler tried to do two versions of the same engine with the original Courage & Command engines but very quickly the number of different parts just became too much & the economy of scale was lost so they ended up only the raw casting being the same .

Provide the genuine Kawasaki part number. I’d like to see this genuine kit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Provide the genuine Kawasaki part number. I’d like to see this genuine kit.
Go back to post #6 and rad the description on the web page
In OZ you can not lie in a product description
So when the product is described as a "Genuine Kawasaki Heavy Duty Conversion Kit " then that is exactly what it is
Unfortunately I can not post a link to the dealers page
However if you click on the "About US" tab in the navigation bar and then the "partnerships" in the drop down menu you will read that RGA is the exclusive distributer for Kawasaki in Australia.
Thus the conversion kit is GENUINE, exxactly the same as 5 genuine Walbro parts constitute a "Genuine carb rebuild kit" regardless of weather theey come in a bag together or as 5 individual parts .

I fail to understand your pig headded attitude to this
Now weather it is a violation of US EPA laws or a deal between Kawasaki & their various customers I have no idea
All I do know is Kawasaki will honour the 5 year warranty on any converted engine provided that the conversion is done by an certified Kawasaki technican and despit the fact that am not certified that includes me as kawasaki now allows me to file warranty claims althogh I can not do the warranty work as I do not have a direct account with Kawasaki only through Roy Gripskie & Sons and furthermore when I do a conversion o a mower being used commercially they extend the 3 year commercial warranty to the residential 5 year warranty .
SO apporved by Kawasaki it certinally is

BTBO originally asked if what he was told was true which it was
If you feel inclined to make him aware that he could be contravining US EPA laws then that is a proper thing to do
One of the outstanding things about living is a democracy is we are free to obey or disregard regulations providedthat we do so with full understandings of the possible sonsequences of out actions .
So it is up to BTBO to decide if he wants to go through with the conversion
The rest of the posts are trite & nit picking to the Nth degree

txmowman

Threads
So when the product is described as a "Genuine Kawasaki Heavy Duty Conversion Kit " then that is exactly what it is
However if you click on the "About US" tab in the navigation bar and then the "partnerships" in the drop down menu you will read that RGA is the exclusive distributer for Kawasaki in Australia.
Thus the conversion kit is GENUINE, exxactly the same as 5 genuine Walbro parts constitute a "Genuine carb rebuild kit" regardless of weather theey come in a bag together or as 5 individual parts .

Now weather it is a violation of US EPA laws or a deal between Kawasaki & their various customers I have no idea
All I do know is Kawasaki will honour the 5 year warranty on any converted engine provided that the conversion is done by an certified Kawasaki technican and despit the fact that am not certified that includes me as kawasaki now allows me to file warranty claims althogh I can not do the warranty work as I do not have a direct account with Kawasaki only through Roy Gripskie & Sons and furthermore when I do a conversion o a mower being used commercially they extend the 3 year commercial warranty to the residential 5 year warranty .

If you feel inclined to make him aware that he could be contravining US EPA laws then that is a proper thing to do
One of the outstanding things about living is a democracy is we are free to obey or disregard regulations providedthat we do so with full understandings of the possible sonsequences of out actions .
KAWKIT2 is not a genuine Kawasaki part number. It might be made up of Kawasaki parts, yes, but the “kit” is not a product of Kawasaki. 🤣🤡

BTBO

Threads

After reading all the different responses and knowledgable comments, I have to admit----I am glad that I asked for advice on installing the cannister air filter on my Kawa FR651V. One gentleman said that if I have more exposed dirt in my yard which would kick up clouds of dust, then the cannister would be the way to go. Heck, I may have the occasional fire ant mound that would make a puff of dust, but that wouldn't justify the $250 cost for the upgrade. Also mentioned was how long it would take for the plastic blower housing to crack. If I were to get the cannister, I would use either fender washers or metal flatbar on the backside with bolts and nylock nuts instead of the two screws holding the filter cover hinge to the blower housing.
But for now, I will just buy a few new air filters and several of the foam pre-filters. Thanks again to all for your help and input.

txmowman

Threads
After reading all the different responses and knowledgable comments, I have to admit----I am glad that I asked for advice on installing the cannister air filter on my Kawa FR651V. One gentleman said that if I have more exposed dirt in my yard which would kick up clouds of dust, then the cannister would be the way to go. Heck, I may have the occasional fire ant mound that would make a puff of dust, but that wouldn't justify the $250 cost for the upgrade. Also mentioned was how long it would take for the plastic blower housing to crack. If I were to get the cannister, I would use either fender washers or metal flatbar on the backside with bolts and nylock nuts instead of the two screws holding the filter cover hinge to the blower housing.
But for now, I will just buy a few new air filters and several of the foam pre-filters. Thanks again to all for your help and input.
If you are not in extreme conditions and inspect your filter regularly and replace when necessary, you will be fine. Do not blow filters out to try to extend the life, they are paper. Do not oil the pre filter. Proper filter inspection involves removing the filter and also checking the bottom side. (Don’t let grass and debris get trapped under the filter). Make sure the clamp is a tight as you can possibly get it by hand and check it every time you visually inspect the filter. Use oil that contains a healthy dose of zinc, like Kawasaki oil. Check your oil regularly and keep it at the full mark. You’ll get a lot of great service from that engine.
Low oil operation and dirt ingestion and the biggest issues I see in my shop.

BTBO

Threads
If you are not in extreme conditions and inspect your filter regularly and replace when necessary, you will be fine. Do not blow filters out to try to extend the life, they are paper. Do not oil the pre filter. Proper filter inspection involves removing the filter and also checking the bottom side. (Don’t let grass and debris get trapped under the filter). Make sure the clamp is a tight as you can possibly get it by hand and check it every time you visually inspect the filter. Use oil that contains a healthy dose of zinc, like Kawasaki oil. Check your oil regularly and keep it at the full mark. You’ll get a lot of great service from that engine.
Low oil operation and dirt ingestion and the biggest issues I see in my shop.
txmowman---I am not in extreme conditions, except living in south Louisiana where summertime temps are 95+ degrees with humidity at that level or higher. The occasional fire ant mound is really the only dust that gets kicked up, or if the wind is blowing stuff toward the engine. After each weekly cutting, I do lift the air cleaner cover and blow out any debris with the leaf blower---no compressed air. I do also have a foam pre-filter. I just started using Valvoline synthetic racing oil because of the higher zinc content and claimed anti-wear properties. Also, I plan on removing the blower housing to inspect for and clean any foreign debris. Thanks for your advice!!