Another snapper procured. SR1433

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same SR1433 with the Briggs I/C 14.5hp monster on it. Great engine made before the head gasket blowing Inteks.

What I've found is the distance from the driven disk to the drive disk has to be spot on. Make sure you get OEM Snapper rubber replacement driven disks. Others are different OD sizes that change the spacing as described previously.

This guy makes AWESOME Snapper videos on the RER.

Last edited:

SamB

Threads
Good video. He does make it a bit complicated. I lift the back of my Snapper RER up with my overhead winch and put the gear lever in highest speed setting and put a bar clamp on the clutch pedal to hold it depressed fully. I then loosen the set screws in the drive plate hub and adjust the plate to a 1/4" clearance of the rubber driven disc. This gives me good engagement and good disengagement declutching. I do have that Snapper setting tool,but this is what works well for me and is quick to do.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good video. He does make it a bit complicated. I lift the back of my Snapper RER up with my overhead winch and put the gear lever in highest speed setting and put a bar clamp on the clutch pedal to hold it depressed fully. I then loosen the set screws in the drive plate hub and adjust the plate to a 1/4" clearance of the rubber driven disc. This gives me good engagement and good disengagement declutching. I do have that Snapper setting tool,but this is what works well for me and is quick to do.
I think he makes it pretty simple. Guess some are more familiar with those machines? I would watch all of Jim's videos if i were you. You will be a Snapper RER expert afterwards.

My pulley is rusted slash locked onto the crankshaft. Removed the 2 set screws. Sucker won't budge at all.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
BTW, that model Snapper RER is a great machine. I would not sell mine for anything. They don't make the new RER's like that anymore. I keep waiting on mine to break down so I can put some love into her. She keeps right on mowing like she was new. No telling how old my deck belt is?? I've had my RER for like 7 seasons. Used belt was on it when I got it. It was rough looking back then LOL. All these new other branded machines tossing belts..... LOL

slomo

SamB

Threads
I agree,watching videos made by an expert Snapper man is a great education on the RER quirks,if one would call them that. They are well thoughtout and well built,at least they were,new one's,not sure. I have owned a number of the RERs through the years,starting in the mid 1970's. I lucked out when I found my current and favorite Snapper rer. It's a 33" Extra Tough semi commercial model. I have also 'rescued' many of the RERs,repaired them and found them new homes. Many of them needed the safety switches and blade brake reinstalled,they are there for very good reasons. All that said,the Youtube videos are so educational and even if one 'thinks' they know it all,if they are working on their mower,watching the videos can do nothing but be a BIG help. I have a coulpe of bigger ,wider cut mowers,one a ZTR,but none of them give the quality of cut the Hi-Vac deck does. IMHO.

SamB

Threads
I think he makes it pretty simple. Guess some are more familiar with those machines? I would watch all of Jim's videos if i were you. You will be a Snapper RER expert afterwards.

My pulley is rusted slash locked onto the crankshaft. Removed the 2 set screws. Sucker won't budge at all.

slomo
If you have the 'screw-on' aluminum drive plate,you can unscrew it and use a jaw puller on the hub. If you have the one piece steel drive,that's a tough one. I have in the past,drilled and tapped puller holes in the steel plates and used a steering wheel type puller to get them removed. This,of course,will entail replacing the plate,but unless it was installed at an incorrect height to start with,replacing it needs to be anyway. Excessive rust pitting have been the reasons for me to remove a steel one. The aluminum ones do wear out,but can just be unscrewed and leave the hub in place,provided the hub was correctly adjusted originally. Always anti-seize the hub when replacing with a new one.

mustakoira7

Forum Newbie
Threads

slomo
Did you ever get the drive disc to move and if so how did you do it? Jim's videos do not cover the steel disc removal as far I can tell.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you ever get the drive disc to move and if so how did you do it? Jim's videos do not cover the steel disc removal as far I can tell.
I haven't worked on it in years (thank you Snapper). Totally forgot how I did it. No, couldn't get the driven disk off the crankshaft loose. I moved the drive disk with rubber ring closer to the driven disk off the crank. Think I posted about it years ago on another mower forum. Think it was my tractor forum??

Rubber drive ring, should go into the center of the driven disk off crankshaft, like 1/8" or 1/4" in neutral. You need to measure this as this adjustment is critical in good clutch operation. So when you put the lever in grear, you have good contact with the rubber ring. There is also a strong spring that keeps the rubber ring against the driven disk.

Thinking on it. I elongated bolt holes on the back of the mower where you can tow stuff. Bolts that hold on the rubber drive disk and such underneath. Doing this moved the rubber ring closer to the driven disk off the crank. Look at yours and see what I'm trying to talk about. Just think, you need to move the rubber disk up towards engine. How could I.........

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Again using aftermarket rubber drive rings is NOT advised. Get real Snapper parts only. They are not the same OD size and the clutch doesn't work at all or near as good. Also use inferior rubber that doesn't last.

If the rubber ring is spaced proper, I can tow a 48" core aerator, 8 cinder blocks (43lbs each) and my 120lb wife in hard clay soil. All that uphill no problem. She bags like no other, side slings and mulches with the best of them.