Another computer thread....

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Again, since we all use computers to get here, I'm wondering:

Has anyone else BOUGHT the registration to PCTOOLS' Registry Mechanic? I did, and it seems to work pretty well.

My girl used my netbook for about a month until she got her own computer, and did a lot of Facebook games garbage - and the computer was useless when I got it back...:frown: The reg mech was a last-ditch attempt before going to Linux again (and THAT is a nightmare, too!). Registry Mechanic actually fixed it, and it runs a lot better. Not like new (as advertised), but a lot better - and is totally functinal again.

I've read bad press about PCTOOLS (AFTER THE FACT, of course), and felt like a sucker, in a way - but it worked for me, so even if I AM a sucker, at least they pitied me, and gave me something for my money! I went with them because I got a Windows 3.1, i386 given to me (with a lot of disk sets - complete - and PCTOOLS was one of the sets). They were like the only defragger available for that system (MS hadn't thought yet of adding a defragger themselves.....). They made it a long time, and in the software business - 'since 1995' means a LOT.......

I got three licenses for $30.....$10 a computer......not bad, I think....me, my girl's, and my netbook.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dammit, my thread got bumped down almost immediately........

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Registry Mechanic daily and Perfect Disk by Raxco at least weekly.

The first defrag was called ORG and I still have it on a 3.5 disc.

Also use both AVG internet security and Malwarebytes.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use Registry Mechanic daily and Perfect Disk by Raxco at least weekly.

The first defrag was called ORG and I still have it on a 3.5 disc.

Also use both AVG internet security and Malwarebytes.

Really? The PCTOOLS reg mech? I mean, there are hundreds out there......I tried the free trial of the defragger.....and I like that a lot, too, and can get a deal on 3 licenses of THAT, too.......

I stand corrected - PCTOOLS was the only defragger I knew existed - and I'd looked everywhere. You know, nothing but Windows loves a good defrag......a real OS doesn't leave frags to begin with.....:laughing:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep - PC Tools - I only clean and defrag registry and handle the rest myself - I don't like it messing with my cookies etc. AVG does a pretty good job of cleaning out spyware cookies and then I set explorer to block them.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep - PC Tools - I only clean and defrag registry and handle the reat myself - I don't like it messing with my cookies etc. AVG does a pretty good job of cleaning out spyware cookies and then I set explorer to block them.

WHEW! I honestly feel better now. Sad, isn't it? That I felt like a sucker to begin with based on some site from Yahoo! that showed up in the search engine, or that I feel better because a guy on an Internet forum uses it, too? :laughing:

It worked, and that is the bottom line, I guess.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been using it for years on both my computer and my wife's - I just don't use the features that I don't like.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been using it for years on both my computer and my wife's - I just don't use the features that I don't like.

I like the fact you can turn stuff on and off......it's that way with all their products......I liked the mechanic, so I downloaded the trials of the toolbox, and their anti-virus.

McAfee was turning into spam bothering me about paying for it. I don't mind paying for it, and McAfee is good - but if you're going to put a popup 3 times within 30 seconds of my computer booting up? EVERY MOTHER LOVIN TIME I TURN IT ON?????? Kiss my a$$!!!

I'll go elsewhere. I'm not asking for Anti-virus advice. I just wanted to know if PC Tools was still legit. (I used all caps [PCTOOLS] because that's how DOS always displayed it.....:laughing:)

Thanks, BK.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just for anyone else out there that is interested.
I've used just about all the Anti-Virus stuff and MOST of it slows down your system. I've had things get past Norton and McAfee - Have not YET had anything get past AVG and it does not seem to slow the system - The FREE version is good, but I got the Internet Security (paid version) is because our 2nd computer connects to internet thru our network cards and Cellular air card.

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
I just started messing with computers a few years ago, "Out of a Necessity". The better I get on this computer, the more I realize my sytem sucks! I might have to try this! Thanks!:thumbsup: