Export thread

Another computer thread....

twall

twall

Again, since we all use computers to get here, I'm wondering:

Has anyone else BOUGHT the registration to PCTOOLS' Registry Mechanic? I did, and it seems to work pretty well.

My girl used my netbook for about a month until she got her own computer, and did a lot of Facebook games garbage - and the computer was useless when I got it back...:frown: The reg mech was a last-ditch attempt before going to Linux again (and THAT is a nightmare, too!). Registry Mechanic actually fixed it, and it runs a lot better. Not like new (as advertised), but a lot better - and is totally functinal again.

I've read bad press about PCTOOLS (AFTER THE FACT, of course), and felt like a sucker, in a way - but it worked for me, so even if I AM a sucker, at least they pitied me, and gave me something for my money! I went with them because I got a Windows 3.1, i386 given to me (with a lot of disk sets - complete - and PCTOOLS was one of the sets). They were like the only defragger available for that system (MS hadn't thought yet of adding a defragger themselves.....). They made it a long time, and in the software business - 'since 1995' means a LOT.......

I got three licenses for $30.....$10 a computer......not bad, I think....me, my girl's, and my netbook.

twall

twall

Dammit, my thread got bumped down almost immediately........

BKBrown

BKBrown

I use Registry Mechanic daily and Perfect Disk by Raxco at least weekly.

The first defrag was called ORG and I still have it on a 3.5 disc.

Also use both AVG internet security and Malwarebytes.

twall

twall

I use Registry Mechanic daily and Perfect Disk by Raxco at least weekly.

The first defrag was called ORG and I still have it on a 3.5 disc.

Also use both AVG internet security and Malwarebytes.

Really? The PCTOOLS reg mech? I mean, there are hundreds out there......I tried the free trial of the defragger.....and I like that a lot, too, and can get a deal on 3 licenses of THAT, too.......

I stand corrected - PCTOOLS was the only defragger I knew existed - and I'd looked everywhere. You know, nothing but Windows loves a good defrag......a real OS doesn't leave frags to begin with.....:laughing:

BKBrown

BKBrown

Yep - PC Tools - I only clean and defrag registry and handle the rest myself - I don't like it messing with my cookies etc. AVG does a pretty good job of cleaning out spyware cookies and then I set explorer to block them.

twall

twall

Yep - PC Tools - I only clean and defrag registry and handle the reat myself - I don't like it messing with my cookies etc. AVG does a pretty good job of cleaning out spyware cookies and then I set explorer to block them.

WHEW! I honestly feel better now. Sad, isn't it? That I felt like a sucker to begin with based on some site from Yahoo! that showed up in the search engine, or that I feel better because a guy on an Internet forum uses it, too? :laughing:

It worked, and that is the bottom line, I guess.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I've been using it for years on both my computer and my wife's - I just don't use the features that I don't like.

twall

twall

I've been using it for years on both my computer and my wife's - I just don't use the features that I don't like.

I like the fact you can turn stuff on and off......it's that way with all their products......I liked the mechanic, so I downloaded the trials of the toolbox, and their anti-virus.

McAfee was turning into spam bothering me about paying for it. I don't mind paying for it, and McAfee is good - but if you're going to put a popup 3 times within 30 seconds of my computer booting up? EVERY MOTHER LOVIN TIME I TURN IT ON?????? Kiss my a$$!!!

I'll go elsewhere. I'm not asking for Anti-virus advice. I just wanted to know if PC Tools was still legit. (I used all caps [PCTOOLS] because that's how DOS always displayed it.....:laughing:)

Thanks, BK.

BKBrown

BKBrown

Just for anyone else out there that is interested.
I've used just about all the Anti-Virus stuff and MOST of it slows down your system. I've had things get past Norton and McAfee - Have not YET had anything get past AVG and it does not seem to slow the system - The FREE version is good, but I got the Internet Security (paid version) is because our 2nd computer connects to internet thru our network cards and Cellular air card.

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

I just started messing with computers a few years ago, "Out of a Necessity". The better I get on this computer, the more I realize my sytem sucks! I might have to try this! Thanks!:thumbsup:

twall

twall

I've used just about all the Anti-Virus stuff and MOST of it slows down your system. I've had things get past Norton and McAfee - Have not YET had anything get past AVG and it does not seem to slow the system - The FREE version is good, but I got the Internet Security (paid version) is because our 2nd computer connects to internet thru our network cards and Cellular air card.

Okay, I wasn't asking, now I am asking......

That is the one thing that sux.....Anti-virus uses so much of the system resources.......how much is this AVG you speak of? And, for that matter, since it's said that Android has it's own firewall (and I am simply leeching off that 'server')......why do I need a firewall at all? Since my 'host' already is firewalled? And a firewall uses plenty of resources! (I know, BK....you never start a sentance with 'and'....:laughing:)

twall

twall

I just started messing with computers a few years ago, "Out of a Necessity". The better I get on this computer, the more I realize my sytem sucks! I might have to try this! Thanks!:thumbsup:

Don't worry, man....we were all n00bs at one time not so long ago....it doesn't take much to know your way around! It's just the nuances of computers and the 'Net....one click, and you're downloading a virus. It's really scary, for anyone......

You can be taken in a heartbeat. That's why I started this thread. I've been around computers (and using them) since 1985!!!! Yes, to those of you paying attention: I have been using computers since I was 12. Now I'm 38. :laughing:

Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy

"I have been using computers since I was 12. Now I'm 38."

Figured you to be much older!:laughing: Wise beyond your years.:laughing:

BKBrown

BKBrown

You can get the free version of AVG for free and even the paid version isn't very expensive (much less than Mcafee or Norton. If you need it for a laptop or desktop the free version is all most people need. AVG.com

Jetblast

Jetblast

There's a great freebie called TDSSKiller made by Kaspersky that'll repair the nastiest rootkit trojans imaginable. I just used it to repair a computer owned by a friend's 11 y/o son who'd been stealing music and games from Russian sites. :ashamed: I did a full restore on that machine to factory spec and it still didn't wipe out this trojan, but it did at least allow me to find what was wrong and install TDSSKiller. Microsoft Security Essentials was able to identify the trojan but couldn't repair it, and Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware couldn't even identify it.

Lots of great freebies out there. I paid for Adobe Lightroom 3 for my photography hobby, but everything else I use is freebie stuff. For anti-virus protection, Microsoft Security Essentials is great and so if Avast's free program. Free AVG is good, if not a little resource heavy. Auslogics Defrag is an excellent free defragmenter that takes only a fraction of the time Windows defrag takes, and of course CCleaner is a must-run-daily program for keeping the system clean and fast.

If you end up restoring a computer like I did, after it's done you can use Slimcomputer to uninstall garbage bloatware programs, then install all of your good programs with Ninite.com. Big time savers.

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

Microsoft Security Essentials is what i use.... free version. AVG really slowed it down.

twall

twall

I actually do have AVG - on my Android phone (my "router").

JDgreen

JDgreen

I used the paid version of AVG Internet Security on our Windows XP computer for a year....had many problems with the firewall becoming inactive. Currently use Kaspersky ISS on both XP and Vista computers, it has almost no effect on system speed and so far no problems with XP firewall going down. I may be a minority here, but have tried McAfee, AVG, Webroot ISS's and prefer Kaspersky to all of them. Webroot constantly let viruses (mostly garbage security products) get into my Vista PC. Was very unhappy with the Webroot ISS.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Okay, I wasn't asking, now I am asking......

That is the one thing that sux.....Anti-virus uses so much of the system resources.......how much is this AVG you speak of? And, for that matter, since it's said that Android has it's own firewall (and I am simply leeching off that 'server')......why do I need a firewall at all? Since my 'host' already is firewalled? And a firewall uses plenty of resources! (I know, BK....you never start a sentance with 'and'....:laughing:)

Paid versions of AVG range from about $20 a year to protect one PC and $30-$40 for four PC's. Over a year ago I got a 3-PC, one-year subscription to AVG ISS from Newegg.com for only $9.99 on sale. Ebay sellers usually have good prices for ISS.

twall

twall

Thanks for the input on the anti-virus. I went with MSE. I wonder why MS didn't just include it in it's OS? Did it have something to do with the ant-trust suit? Or is this software that new? I notice it's version 1.something......

S

Slater

Thanks for the input on the anti-virus. I went with MSE. I wonder why MS didn't just include it in it's OS? Did it have something to do with the ant-trust suit? Or is this software that new? I notice it's version 1.something......

It has everything to do with anti-trust suits. That is why in Europe they have to give customers the option of what browser they want to install and not putting IE, WMP or other programs on. Kind of ridiculous IMO. I understand they own 90% market share, but people drool over the fact that OSX comes with different programs built in and they don't have to go download anything else. They all of the sudden think that they can't get these things on Windows, but little do they know they can install Windows Live, or tons of other software, but MS can't put it in because they will essentially take out any AV software developers or developers for other programs.
/rantover

Anyways these are the programs I use to clean up peoples computers (all the free versions which work great)
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download (free version)
SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! (free version)
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download (free version)
Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials (free version)