Amazon carb for B&S engine, no threads, screw broke! It's a journey!!

CAJUNCANNON03

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Amazon carb for B&S engine, no threads, screw broke! It's a journey!!
1st problem, you ordered from Amazon, support local shops instead of Billionaires like Bezos

elmrfudd

Threads
I would do a spark check immediately after it quits after it runs a bit. Two things fail when they get hot…..spark plugs and ignition coils. They can still run cold, but when they get hot, they will short out. So check spark when engine quits, but try a different plug(s) first.

JAZ

Threads
Man did I spend a ridiculous amount of time researching for a carburetor for Home Depot Craftsman T150 mower with B&S engine!!! It was a learning lesson! This is my first exposure to riding mower repairs! Why the carb? Would not start. Well, would start then immediately shut down. I took carb off and took it apart. I found nothing wrong. Put it back on. It started so I mulched leaves for 1 1/2 hours. The next day it would not start. Took carb off and apart, nothing wrong, put back on, it started, used for an hour, next day no start. Went through that routine one more time. Online videos indicated rebuild/replace carb. To me there didn't seem to be anything wrong with carb so I ordered new one. That evening I saw video where it could be fuel shut off solenoid on bottom of carb. Checked it to see if it worked. Did not so also ordered fuel shut off solenoid. It hasn't arrived.

I finally found a carb with all the correct numbers for what it would fit, ordered on Amazon and very quickly received it through the mail! I was ready to put it on the mower today. I had to move some items from the top of the original carb to the new carb. I think the first was a screw for the choke lever? The screw (593040) appeared to be larger than the hole in the carb. I hoped it was just a really close fit and I could get the screw on in. I got the threads to catch and I forcefully screwed it in. I would have been finished in maybe three more turns of the driver when the screw snapped in two! Almost flush with the surface of the carb!! I checked the one other hole where I needed to have a screw (593041) to hold some choke solenoid, it has no threads! I assumed the carb would come with needed holes threaded.
I have no drill press. I do have a couple of drills and many bits. I don't doubt that I do NOT have the type bit to remove the screw/drill a new hole. I do not have any tools to thread those holes. I do NOT know anything of the screw (593040) that I need to replace - length, diameter, type threads - so I don't know what re-threader tool I might need. Same for 2nd screw (593041) that needs to go in carb body. Do I need to thread those holes? Since I will have altered carb I will not be able to return it afterwards.
I have found the correct number through B&S for the screw (593040) I need to replace. Jack's appears to have it - unless they get those from same place B&S gets theirs. B&S shows the part not available!
Any help/suggestions for what I will need to drill out the broken screw and thread those two holes?

Should I just order another carb and put this one on the shelf or trash it?

Frustrating day! And the grass/weeds here in south Alabama just get higher while the mower sits!

Thanks for your time!
Lloyd
Had the same problem with my Troy Built 42 inch 2017 riding mower. Got mine from Amazon for about $30.00. Came with the solenoid.
Everything fit perfectly. ( Rarity for me) While I was in there I ordered and replaced the magneto because I was not sure if that was my problem. I think the total was $51.00. Had a wait but after everything was installed, I turned the key, and it started right up with no problems.
(Rarity, again for me) Think everything took about a month on a slow boat from China. A few prayers could have helped.
Hope this helped.

KEONG Compatible Carburetor Replacement for Briggs & Stratton 594605 792768 591734 594603 594605
Sold by: KEONG

KEONG Compatible Carburetor Replacement for Briggs & Stratton 594605 792768 591734 594603 594605

Freddie21

Threads
If your machine has a fuel pump, it will be a black round plastic device with 3 houses attached. It will be in the path from the carb to the tank. One house from the tank, one to the carb and the other to the engine. The are used when the tank is under the seat or somewhere else that puts is lower than the carb. If your tank is in the engine compartment and higher than the carb, you shouldn't have one.
The issue is your not getting gas thru the carb to the intake. If you pinch the fuel line, or turn the shut off valve off, and then remove the solenoid from the carb, a good amount of gas should come out of the carb bowl. If not, your not getting gas into the bowl. Either a plugged needle and seat, or fuel line. If gas is present, then I would take the solenoid and cut off the tip and reinstall it. These go intermittently bad and will not allow gas to flow into the idle circuit. If everything is fine now, you could either leave as is, or install a new solenoid. If problem returns with the new solenoid, you could be loosing the 12v to it. There should be 12v to the solenoid any time the key is on. Also check its ground wire.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
OEM parts deliver where as non OEM parts do not deliver.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So is this thing running or what?

Old_Brewer

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you ever plan on changing a magneto, please check for proper gap first.

CWatters

Threads
+1 to cleaning out the fuel tank. I had a bizarre problem where the mower would run fine for an hour then start bogging down or stalling. Someone suggested I check the tank. I couldn't see anything in it and anyway my garden is bumpy so the fuel is being shaken up the whole time. I couldn't see any possibility that something in the tank could take about an hour every time to block the outlet. Other people said it was likely overheating or an ignition issue. Then as last resort I drained the tank and dried it out with kitchen paper towels. I found a semi translucent insect in the bottom, virtually same colour as the tank. I still didn't believe it was the cause but it was. I refilled the tank from the same can of fuel and its run fine ever since.

TobyU

Threads
A lot of things here but I'll try to cover the basics.
Firstly, I'm never a fan of replacing Parts especially carburetors because they rarely ever wear out unless they're 20 plus years old and the throttle shaft has worn into the aluminum body and it's sucking air. That's about it.
Nine times out of 10 even if you replace it with the same brand name carburetor like Briggs & stratton, the 8 to 20 year old carburetor you're replacing is probably better than the new Briggs and Stratton carburetor you're putting on!
Carbs don't really fail, they simply get dirty or need some new rubber Parts in them or float etc.
Now having said this I have used a couple of No name eBay or Amazon carbs even on riders and had good luck with them but I prefer just to use them to scavenge parts from the inside to put into the other carburetor but unfortunately not all of them are exact clone replacements and they will change stupid little things like the float or the needle valve when they don't have to.
So, I don't think you should have gone on the road to replace the carburetor because it certainly does sound like it was a fuel delivery issue and more than likely was the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb.
You will hear this called abs for antibackfire solenoid and you will hear it called after run solenoid or just solenoid on the carb like we're calling it..
You can't check this with a 9-volt battery or even the machine and be 100% assured that it's not bad.
The basic test is to see if it clicks or to feel or hear if it clicks when you plug the connector into it with the key on or you can actually remove it and look at it and watch it open and close cuz sometimes they get gummed up but this still doesn't alleviate two of the problems that these will commonly do.
Some, but not all have a rubber tip on the end and this rubber tip will become loose and will vibrate up the shaft that is knurled and will clog up or block off the jet I mean and then soon as the solenoid functions it's cycle a couple of times it works back into place so it will intermittently shut off while you're mowing and then restart and mess with you.
Then, there's the fact that many of them will just get old and they will get hot and break down so they'll work for a few minutes maybe 15 maybe two then they will start becoming erratic.
The way to test for this is to mow until it messes up and then unscrew it and put your finger on the hole and start it and see if it runs. Even better if you can find a carb bowl bolt or a short bolt with the same threads or even a rubber stopper at this point just to block off the fuel flow to test it.
I'm glad we're at the current day we are now because you probably got that part for under $12. If you would have bought that part over 5 years ago it was one of the most overpriced parts of lawn mowers for the past 30 years and they were over $60 to buy anywhere because it had to come in the brand name box because no aftermarket companies were copying it..
Then finally they showed up for $7 on ebay. This is a case where I'm glad to have the cheap aftermarket parts because they were hosing us on the brand name ones that should have never been over 10 or 15 to start with.
Kind of like golf carts and jet skis and boats. Total rip-off for what it is.
So, you're more than likely found your problem with the carb solenoid because these carbs pretty much either run or they don't due to being gummed up inside and there's just one main jet and if you take it out and or run wires through it and blow everything out clean and there's not stuff floating around in it the next time you're taking it apart you're usually good to go.
I think I read this was a Briggs engine but I can't remember. Those use either a Nikki or a walbro and I actually prefer the wall bro even though it's harder to pull the seat out and replace the brass seat I just find the repairs to be more durable than that crazy convoluted plastic body Nikki but they both will get the job done as will be aftermarkets.
The key to lawn mower repairs is diagnosis, diagnosis, diagnosis. Too many people throw parts at them hoping to find the problem and it's usually their third plus attempt before they actually stumble onto the fix and they're usually almost $200 into it at this point which really sucks.
There's other things that could be your problem like a blockage or restriction of fuel coming from the gas tank or if it has a fuel pump it could be sucking air on some of the lines too. I have more than once found those little tiny Japanese fake ladybugs inside the gas tank and stuck down into the first inch of the fuel line blocking it and I've also seen long strands of grass four and five inches long work its way down into the fuel line like a bundle of three or four of them preventing fuel flow.
Then, fuel line can crumble inside and deposit rubber specs inside your carb which is a self-clocking situation or you can get an internal prolapse inside the fuel line where the inner lining gets a hole in it and ends up ballooning up inside and blocks itself off inside.
I had one just last season on a push mower I think it was a Honda that had almost no fuel coming out of the fuel line with the valve turned on and when I took the fuel line off I couldn't even blow through it with my mouth so I started squeezing it and found the area that felt funny and cut it right there with a razor blade and you could see how the inner wall had pulled away and sealed itself off.
95% or somewhere thereabouts of lawn mower no starting or running issues is not enough fuel so the first thing to check anytime one diesel won't start is to get you an external fuel source and take the air filter off and spray that fuel source into there to see if it will then start and stay running as long as you spray it.
DON'T you starting fluid because it's just a waste and it's too hard on the engine.
Either put some gas in an old spray bottle or get you a can of spray carb cleaner because you can stand there and run one all day on the carb cleaner as long as you keep spraying and stopping and spraying and stopping.