Already thinking about leaf cleanup

Threads
Just passed the 300 bushel mark and some of the trees are still green!!! Last PMs frost and some wind will get the leaves falling!!!:laughing:

Did a few small cleanups today (where it's actually just a lawn mowing where I charge extra to remove the leaves as well), but the true leaf cleanups should be coming any day, because trees are dropping a lot now! I'm doing the my own front yard every other day to keep it looking nice. Takes less than 5 mins.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my Scag Tiger Cub/48" deck/collection system, the amount of cleanup is measured by what is in the collection bags. Each bag is rated at 4.3 bushels, there are three bags and the volume of the housing if full increases this to 15 bushels of chopped up leaves, grass and pine needles. I generally let the housing fill up before I empty the bags although it is difficult to determine when this happens unless I turn the machine around and look at where I have just passed over.
This has been a banner year for acorns and pine needles as it has been very dry in my area. I have to drop the deck down to 2.5 inches or lower to cleanup the acorns and this puts the blades in more danger of contact with rocks and roots which increases my awareness level as I mow.
I have been beat up by some customers when I increase my rates during spring and fall cleanup. Sometimes I use a front mounted dethatcher to make cleanup easier for me.
To compensate for this, I increased my hourly rate overall. I no longer have the customers that complained and as time passed, some of them have called me asking me to come back, but I have only reconnected with just a few. I go the extra mile for my customers, most of which show their appreciation.:biggrin:

Threads
Today I did the biggest cleanup I have ever done. This was also the first official leaf cleanup of the season (the leaves are falling later than last year). It took 1.5 hours straight of using the backpack blower (PB-770T), and then another 1/2 hr. of putting some of it on a tarp and then neatening everything up. It's a great property for leaf cleanups, as it has over 20 trees, but it would be TERRIBLE for mowing. I don't know how you would do it. It has rocks and acorns everywhere, and a cliff out front and little dropoffs everywhere. I took some pictures, but will take more in a week when I go there again. I just wanted to learn the property this time, now I can focus on picture-taking next time. :biggrin: I'll post the pics later tonight. The backpack blower was amazing. Used close to a full tank of gas, and it has helped tremendously.

Threads
Didn't get any before pics of the part with heavy leaf coverage, but here is a before/after photo of the area that had some leaves on it (not a lot). This is the only flat part of the lawn, and one of the only places with grass. :laughing: Also a photo of the leaf pile, with my blower in the photo to show the scale. The pile is a lot bigger in person. The municipality came by right after I finished and vacuumed it up, so it's already at the local farm getting ready for compost! :thumbsup: I will get pictures of the part with heavy leaf coverage next week when I do it again. Plus I have lots of other leaf cleanups to do next week.

Before: before.PNG

After: after.PNG

Pile at the road: leaf pile 1.PNG

Last edited:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, that blower saves you time and makes you money!

Threads
Yep, that blower saves you time and makes you money!

Over the next week I am super busy with lawns and leaf cleanups, but I will get some photos of before/afters of the cleanups. I struggle with figuring out a way to get action shots with the backpack blower, but I will take pics of once it's done.

Threads
Check back either late this evening or tomorrow afternoon for pics from a leaf cleanup today. Will have some more pics from 2 jobs tomorrow as well. :thumbsup:

Threads
Here's a before/after photo of one of the lawns I did today that also want leaf removal done. It turned out really well! Also a picture of my blower in action.

attachment.php

attachment.php

leaf job.PNG echo action.PNG

Threads
we are up and runnnig for a week already

I've been cleaning up some leaves while I mow for around 2 weeks, but last week was when I started to get actual leaf jobs, along with LOTS of leaves when I come by my weekly mowing customers' lawns. But I have yet to do my first cleanup on some of my lawns....it is a little behind compared to last year.