Age old question, Winter Storage?

ZackT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Libertyz remote battery posts. Much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_8939 Small.jpeg
    IMG_8939 Small.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8938 Small.jpeg
    IMG_8938 Small.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 7

rhiebert

Threads
Live in SW Virginia with a 4 month moderately cold winter and I keep my Cub Cadet 42 tractor in a shed with a push Honda mower. The tractor battery stays in tact but I do keep it connected to a battery tender.
Is it better to complete run the engines dry of fuel (with an empty tank) or, as I have read elsewhere, fill the tanks with conditioned fuel to minimize any possible condensation?
The Honda push mower has a fuel shut off valve ( as does my Honda generator) however the tractor does not, in case any of that matters? Thanks
Suggesting: Replace the petroleum based engine oil with new quality synthetic, then run it for a few minutes before shutting it down for winter. You can keep this engine oil for the coming season.

Gord Baker

Threads
You are treating your battery correctly. I run gas engines dry of Fuel and if possible also drain the Float bowl.
You do not want Ethanol contaminated fuel left in any tank or container for over 30 days.

Lawn Pro
Threads
1721617266412.jpegFor my batteries, I use these remote leads, cost like $3.00 with fusible link.

Last edited:

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are treating your battery correctly. I run gas engines dry of Fuel and if possible also drain the Float bowl.
You do not want Ethanol contaminated fuel left in any tank or container for over 30 days.
That's precisely what I do..

Rickcin

Threads
That's precisely what I do..
I use ethanol free fuel with stabilizer and be sure to fill the tank with that fuel before winter and run the engine for a few minutes to ensure that fuel circulates.
The equipment sites ideal for a NY winter and then always starts right up in the Spring.

Firespooks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use ethanol free fuel with stabilizer and be sure to fill the tank with that fuel before winter and run the engine for a few minutes to ensure that fuel circulates.
The equipment sites ideal for a NY winter and then always starts right up in the Spring.
I installed a fuel shut off valve in the fuel line. I fill the tank to the top with fuel and stabilizer . I close the valve and run the engine until it stops. Never had an issue in the spring.

Rickcin

Threads
I installed a fuel shut off valve in the fuel line. I fill the tank to the top with fuel and stabilizer . I close the valve and run the engine until it stops. Never had an issue in the spring.
That is a viable method as well. I don’t have a fuel shut off valve on my lawn tractor and not wanting to install one since I’ve heard they will eventually leak.

davis2

Threads
Where are you in NY? I always used non-ethanol fuel and stabilizer in my unused in the winter engines. My cub 782 was used 12 months, but less in the winter. I am from Lee Center in Oneida county.

Rickcin

Threads
Where are you in NY? I always used non-ethanol fuel and stabilizer in my unused in the winter engines. My cub 782 was used 12 months, but less in the winter. I am from Lee Center in Oneida county.
I lived in Putnam County, Carmel & Mahopac area.